Two Vessels Burn in Spain

18 July 2018 By Aileen Mack

Two vessels burned July 16 in a fire about 100 meters from the coast in Es Calo des Moro in Sant Antoni, Mallorca, according to local media Diario de Ibiza. The 29-meter M/Y Harmonya caught fire, and when she collided with a sailboat, the flames spread to it.

Local media Periodico de Ibiza reports that the fire originated in Harmonya’s engine room, and the seven crewmembers tried to extinguish it, but eventually evacuated the vessel on Jet Skis.

Firemen had to contain the area due to the strong winds that pushed the boat toward the shore and in the hope of preventing the fire from spreading further. Once on shore, the remaining flames were extinguished.

The Maritime Rescue boat and a helicopter helped extinguish the fire. M/Y Harmonya, which carried a large amount of fuel, was stranded in the small cove on the shore of Es Calo beach. Technicians from Sant Antoni’s city council reportedly have not detected any fuel in the water, and municipal workers are responsible for removing beach debris from the burned boats.

The owner of Harmonya confirmed to Maritime Captaincy that it will take charge of decontaminating the two vessels, refloating them, and removing them from the beach as soon as possible, Diario de Ibiza reports. The Civil Guard are taking statements from the vessels’ crew and are continuing to investigate the incident.

Local police are monitoring the area to prevent vandalism, such as the graffiti that was already painted on the burned vessel. Due to the incident, the beach of Calo des Moro will remain closed until further notice.

Stay tuned for more information.

Photo Source: @yachting_concept on Instagram

UPDATE: 7/31/2018

Several frustrated attempts and 11 hours later, a tugboat finally took away M/Y Harmonya, which was stranded in Calo des Moro after a fire on July 16, local media Diario de Ibiza reports. A company hired by Harmonya’s owner to remove the vessel moved her to Vinaros in Castellon, which was originally predicted to take four hours.

Parts and water had to be removed from the boat so the tugboat could take Harmonya away. A crane hoisted the sailboat that was also stranded after the fire. A deep cleaning of the beach was performed to eliminate any remaining boat parts and a containment barrier was installed to keep waste from the sea. A water analysis will be performed to see when the beach will reopen.