Untitled Page
RSS Feed Print
STCW and the AMSA and any other advice welcomed
Natasha Ambrose
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 8:03 AM

I was hoping for some advice... I am looking to start my career in the marine industry, I understand I need to gain the STCW 95 which I intend on doing soon, I will also have my powerboat level 2 and be a PADI OW Instructor. I have taken part in a UK rib rally around Ireland and Scotland and helped out on a dive charter rib but that is my only experience. Is there anyway of getting STCW AMSA approved if taken in the UK? In order to work as a deck hand would it be beneficial for me to obtain my day skipper or which qualifications are recommended? I am due to travel to Australia in November and intend to work out there, does anyone else have experience as a newbie in Australia? Last but not least I am 24 soon to be 25 in May female, are there many female deckhands? Any responses are greatly appreciated. Natasha
Chris Taylor - IYT Worldwide
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:03 PM

Hi Natasha

Your STCW if taken in the UK should be recognised by AMSA, (I say should because they change  their rules occasionally).

If you wish to work in Aus perhaps you would consider going to an IYT Worldwide School there, Clubsail in Sydney does MCA/ IYT courses and will be able to get you crossover to the NSW commercial certificates. See our web for contact info: http://iytworld.com/schools.php

You could do the MOY Coastal and then work to the MOY Limited (Offshore)

We also have   PADI approved co branded DIveboat Cox and Captain courses which might also help you.
Email me and I can give you more information
christ@iytworld.com

dbriggsie
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:05 PM

Hey Natasha.

First off, its going to be hard to get 'daywork' out of australia..

But anyway its a great place to start.
Your AMSA STCW will allow you to work on any flagged vessel around the world. You do not need to apply for MCA to get a CoR (Certificate of Recognition)

The best idea would be to get the RYA Yachtmaster 200GT offshore (If you can afford it)
Its not really needed as a deckhand.

The other hurdle for you will be that obtaining a fulltime position as a deckhand in Australia on an Australian flagged vessel will usually require you to have an Australian "Coxwains" ticket that is commercially endorsed by AMSA.

To get around this if you have obtained that RYA Yachtmaster 200GT offshore already, is to go and complete the Australian Master Class 5. Which puts you in a great hiring position. (But i wouldnt recomend doing that if you are not an australian resident and not wanting to stay in australia too long)

The best place to day work would be up in Cairns. There is 1 great crew agent up there called CrewPacific in cairns
They will help you heaps! Usually will let you know when superyachts are due to come into cairns.

The alternative in cairns is:
If you have your AMSA STCW95 and your a PADI dive Instructor then you will easily get a job on one of the dive boats operating out of cairns or port douglas. (providing your legally allowed to work in australia)

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:19 PM
RYA has no Dive boat master programme

IYT has the same recognition as the RYA BUT IYT is recognised by more administrations

Clubsail IYT in Aus has crew placement and will sort you out with Aus qualifications.

Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:35 PM

If you were looking for work in Europe I would say  Yachtmaster  definitely, but I cannot help on this occasion as this is AUS stuff about which I know little. But good luck, fair winds and not too rough seas. Enjoy the sea, and be safe.  And if you can't be safe, be careful.   Yours 'aye.  Cap'n Ed

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:02 PM
Go IYT World Master of Yachts, it is commercial in its own right, and is more accepted as a higher standard than Yachtmaster which is essentially recreational

Andy
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:12 PM

Hi Natasha, If you have a STCW "Certificate of Safety Training" that is issued by the MCA then it will be recognised by AMSA. A Yachtmaster issued by RYA or IYT is not going to do much for you on an Australian flagged vessel other than a private vessel. In Australia there is no classification of yachts. To work as a Master on any commercial vessel including "Yachts" you either need a State issued Master 5,4,3 or an AMSA issued Masters. An RYA or IYT Yachtmaster does not just cross over to a state Master class 5 as a previous poster said, you would still need to meet the seatime requirements , which are lot more and complete more training courses. My advise if your looking for some boat work in Australia is to go to Airlie Beach or Cairns, with your DI you will probably pick something up.
Chris Taylor - IYT Worldwide
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 12:40 PM

You very much can crossover to a Master 5 with an IYT MOY. It does require some additional sea time and some training.

Again I reiterate

Your STCW if taken in the UK should be recognised by AMSA, (I say should because they change  their rules occasionally).

Clubsail in Sydney does MCA/ IYT courses and will be able to get you crossover to the NSW commercial certificates. See our web for contact info: http://iytworld.com/schools.php

Alternatively you could go to Great Barrier Reef International Marine College
and do the master 5 with Crossover to IYT MOY at the same time, thereby obtaining both Aus and UK (International) qualifications
Contact: Kim AndersenPhone: +07 404 198 00Fax: +07 403 551 03Email: kim@gbrimc.com.auPhysical Address55-61 Tingira Street
Portsmouth
Cairns Queensland, Australia

Average 0 out of 5