Untitled Page
RSS Feed Print
Submarines, is a license needed?
Alex Nicol
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:08 PM

I was wondering if there is a specific license needed to drive a submarine. With more and more yachts now having a submarine on board as a 'toy' I wanted to look into whether I could do some sort of license to drive one. Is there any regulation etc regarding driving submarines or are there any courses you can do to gain a submarine skippers ticket?
Chris Taylor - IYT Worldwide
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:40 PM

For the smaller recreational subs there is no license required. The only courses for these would be the manufacturers training on their specific models.

I understand the MCA is looking at this issue and I am sure within a number of years there will be requirements for training.
Hope this helps?

Chris Taylor - IYT Worldwide
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:55 PM

Further Information reveals:

Licensing requirements vary from country to country but effective crew training is critical;  that is trained in the operation and maintenance of the submarine by the manufacturer/distributor and then practically during sea trials. 

In the U.S. the Coast Guard requires that the pilot of the submarine have a Master's license for a surface vessel of equivalent tonnage and that he/she logs 40 dives/surfaces and 40 hours operating the submarine as a trainee. The applicant is then given an exam based on the maintenance and operations manuals. Upon successful completion the applicant receives a specific submersible endorsement to the license.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:26 AM

Depends if you're hauling passengers for hire and such commercial ops and what country you're in. USCG used to issue an endorsement for specific subs, not sure as to others.

Alex Nicol
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:20 PM

Thank you very much for your help guys. I will look in to it further.

Average 0 out of 5