Untitled Page
RSS Feed Print
from Eng officer to Deck Officer - quickest route?
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:28 AM
Joined: 14/10/2008
Posts: 2


I am looking for advice on the change from engineering (am a Y3 engineer) to deck officer (OOW, Chief Mate and onwards).

What is the quickest way to OOW/Chief Mates status?

MGN092 suggests that I would only need 12 months of sea time (on deck) signed off, is this correct?

Also is it true that if sea time is gained on vessels over a certain size no training record book is needed, as suggested in MGN 1802?




Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:53 PM
HI Tom

You will have to comply with the deck requirements for service and you cannot use the seatime and service you used for Engineering.
Therefore you will need to prove Service time per MSN1802, and the seatime also.

With regard to the Training Record Book you do not have to complete it if you can prove 36 months SEA SERVICE as defined in MSN 1802 on a vessel of at least 24 meters in loadline length or not less than 80 gt.

Let me know if you have other questions

Chris Taylor - IYT World
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:56 PM
Joined: 25/06/2008
Posts: 27

Hi Tom

I just saw I posted anonymously. I am with IYT.

Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:32 PM
Thanks Chris.
 Average 0 out of 5