Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Sous/crew cheffing on a larger yacht - is it hell or hella cool?
Chef Sim
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:26 PM

Hey guys So after a season on a 32m M/Y as sole chef, I'm wondering what working on the bigger yachts is like. I'm getting offered positions (opportunities to apply for positions) on 90m - 120m yachts as crew and sous chef, but I'm worried I'd be biting off more than I can chew. How many crew are typically on a 90m? What level of cooking do they expect? Comfy healthy home food or mad-fancy cuisine? I could make my crew of 4 fancy meals, but surely it's not expected on a mega yacht? Three banquet meals a day - do you get any sleep? Any advice is much appreciated
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 8:44 PM
I think it depends what kind of progression you would like in the industry. You can continue on the sole chef route and work your way to bigger yachts. I would recommend any serious career chef to seek employment on larger yachts (60m plus) employing more than 1 chef. This gives you the opportunity to work with and learn from another chef. 60M+ yachts usually employ around 16-19 crew, 75M+ yachts 24-28, 90-100M around 30 crew, 120M+ you get closer to 50-60 crew. Food offered does not need to be super fancy, but it does need to be well varied, fresh, healthy and usually in good quantity. What is served to crew will depend on your head chef, captain and budget. It can vary a lot and the more crew you have. naturally the more that preferences, allergies and intolerances creep in. It can be very demanding and the balance of guest and crew food will depend on the yacht size - the larger the yacht, the more the crew and guest food will be separated. I reckon the 60-75M yacht range is a good place to aim for. The crew numbers are not too crazy and you will usually be involved with guest food. Hope this helps - Good luck!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 8:45 PM
I think it depends what kind of progression you would like in the industry. You can continue on the sole chef route and work your way to bigger yachts. I would recommend any serious career chef to seek employment on larger yachts (60m plus) employing more than 1 chef. This gives you the opportunity to work with and learn from another chef. 60M+ yachts usually employ around 16-19 crew, 75M+ yachts 24-28, 90-100M around 30 crew, 120M+ you get closer to 50-60 crew. Food offered does not need to be super fancy, but it does need to be well varied, fresh, healthy and usually in good quantity. What is served to crew will depend on your head chef, captain and budget. It can vary a lot and the more crew you have. naturally the more that preferences, allergies and intolerances creep in. It can be very demanding and the balance of guest and crew food will depend on the yacht size - the larger the yacht, the more the crew and guest food will be separated. I reckon the 60-75M yacht range is a good place to aim for. The crew numbers are not too crazy and you will usually be involved with guest food. Hope this helps - Good luck!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012 8:45 PM
Chef Gregory Wheaton
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:42 PM

Chef Greg Here. I am a Private Chef on an Estate, but here's my take: Get that challenge under your belt. Do it and flex your culinary muscle. You will have senior mentors anyway, so enjoy and take the jump. If you see the present position as the best and your really happy and have longevity with it, fine, but remember, you don't grow without the fertilizer of experience. I have carte blanche to cook great menus, and I know what my owner likes & it's lower stress, and I am older now, but if your in your 20's to 30's...go for the bigger position. Sante'!
chrismlewis
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:47 PM

The variety will be huge, so I would hope that the crew agent would be able to answer some of your questions and help getting answers from the boat for the others! Keep in mind that many big boats also have large numbers of Filipinos etc on them, so you may have to cater for at least 2 sets of dietary cultures. It would not be unusual to have separate messing arrangements for Officers and crews anyway, regardless of nationalities.
Chef Sim
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:53 AM

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I've decided to take the plunge and look for a position on a larger yacht. Greg is right, it's time to grow! Happy cheffing, my friends.

Average 5 out of 5
]