Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Chef needs advice...
ChefDouce
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 1:09 AM

Hello Crew Confessor,

I would really appriciate some advice on how to crack into the industry. It has always been a dream of mine to be a Chef on the seas. I have found some useful crew placement agancies, but no luck as of yet...

I have over 10+ years experience in high end ktichens, catering and all sorts of establishments. Can you maybe send me in the right direction? Right now in Montreal, Canada but willing to travel on short notice.

Thanks!

Crew Confessor
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:45 AM

Dear ChefDouce, This is not the best of times to making an attempt at "breaking into" this industry. There was a time when some in this industry smugly declared that it was RECESSION PROOF. They are now eating some serious humble pie. But this will not last forever and there is a lot of reason for optimism and hope. Have you graduated from a recognized culinary school? These days that's pretty standard. Personally I don't think a piece of paper makes a chef, ask Thomas Keller or Alice Waters what culinary school they went too... BUT this is the first question you will be asked. Though you will be the chef you will also be a crew person and will need to get the STCW95 taken care of. Lots of information about that here on Dockwalk. IF the economy shows positive signs and you have some money saved, come to FTL and do the STCW and start pounding the docks for work. Make yourself available for freelance work, stay in a crew house and cook some nice meals for the crew there, networking. You have to market yourself. Typically I'd suggest someone be in Lauderdale in March/April when yachts are preparing for the Med or spending some time in the yard before heading to New England. I don't want to discourage you, but I would not advise giving this a go unless you have a good amount of money saved and will not be in a bad way if you find no work. The economy is in a state of flux and there are many people with a lot of experience and connections in the industry who are scrambling for work. So there it is. Meanwhile, start networking online with some of the chef's we have here. Offer some recipes, start a blog and tell us about your favorite foods. It's not just other chefs who read them. You never know, your blog might bewitch an owner (yes, they read Dockwalk too) into hiring you after reading how you debone a partridge! Best of Luck. Your Crew Confessor
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 8:19 AM

Hey Chef.    Chefs represent a special skill on the yachts.  You might want to seek advice from  agents who specialize in this position.

Try  contacting Simon at....

http://www.elite-chefs.com/    

he might be able to point you in the correct direction.

Average 0 out of 5
]