Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Morning after regret
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:13 PM

Dear Crew Confessor,

They say hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had some of that vision before I did what I am about to tell you.

I recently had the best interview of my yachting career on a yacht that I consider my "dream boat." I was not offered the job right away, but I was formally introduced to some of the crew and subsequently invited to one of the crewmember's birthday party the following night. Not knowing the potential repercussions of my actions, I had a "wild night" with one of the stews whom I met at the party. Here is the kicker: she is presently involved with one of the crewmembers aboard and he was not present at her party that night.

A few days after the encounter, I got a call from the captain and was offered the job. In a perfect world, I would have accepted this job in a heartbeat. However, after knowing what has transpired, should I still accept this job? I do not want to be a "cancer" amongst the crew and I feel that if I join the boat, I could be just that. Maybe this job was just not meant for me. Please help!

Sincerely,

To be or not to be

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:14 PM

welcome to yachting..it happens allllll the time...how many times we hear the ''i dont do that story'...ha ha, just an other yachtie ''problem''..just deal with it.

Crew Confessor
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 5:01 AM

Dear To Be or Not to Be,

Have you ever heard the saying, "don't s*** where you eat?" It is especially relevant when we are talking about a yacht where you are attempting to secure a position! And you didn't shag just any crew member, you screwed the birthday girl who presumably might have been a trifle upset that her boyfriend was not there that night.

What's done is done. If there were witnesses amongst the crew who are now certain that you two did the deed, look elsewhere for a job and chalk it up to experience.

However, if the two of you were reasonably discreet, and no one but yourselves are the wiser, the situation is salvageable. This was obviously a one night stand brought about by a night of drunken frivolity. You are both adults and these things happen. Accept the job and go about your work, minding your own business and let that night become a fond little memory. Cultivate friendships amongst your new crewmates and endeavor to avoid being alone with "her." If something is up with her and her boyfriend don't get caught in the middle. Work hard, seek out a girlfriend of your own and be more careful in future.

Oh, for penance I direct you to clean the floor and shelves of the walk in refrigerator as soon as possible, preferably on your day off. If your yacht does not have a walk in fridge you must clean the side by side fridges all at the direction and choice of timing of the chef. Clean them properly with bleach and lots of scrubbing! All the while chanting over and over in your mind that "I will not shag a potential crew mate." You naughty, naughty, boy....

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 2:22 PM
How do you know it was the birthday girl who got laid???
slug
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 3:04 PM

Er Emmm.... 

" Here is the kicker: she is presently involved with one of the crewmembers aboard and he was not present at HER party that night.  "

Well    ??????   we just read   ...... HER PARTY..........  Looks like you blabbered on and now everybody  knows........  Watch your back,

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:57 PM
Take the job and don't look back! This boat is your dream boat, is it not? Chase your dreams and don't let anything get in the way.

Best of Luck.

junior
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 9:23 PM

Sounds like  you've been  compromised.....your history mate...this business is not for you, get out now...make room for the next one....I'm sure there is a position in something like Retail or fast food for you. 

Fries with that Burger sir ?  

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:54 AM
I agree whole heartedly with C.C.  BTW, could you come by and shag our stewardess, my walk-in is a disaster!

Average 5 out of 5
]