Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Charter tips
Tenclay
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 2:36 AM

As a head of family who's paying this..... I would like to skip the broker. I do feel that they are more so working against and pushing us into more expensive deals than asked for.. All the contracts still need to modified for protection. Tipping is a stressful pain in the ass that after reading this thread has killed my mojo to book the 85 footer we were suppose to.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 8:51 PM
Private yachts can be as much work as charter, some owners spend significant amounts of time onboard. That's not to say charters are not hard work. Yachting is always going to be than your average 9 to 5 gig. The bigger question is what do you do with your tips and salary. A very cheap owner once gave me a tip, he said "make money work for you, don't work for your money". I've made more consistent tip money on private yachts and had more time off too boot. Chartering is turn and burn stuff and quite honestly not worth the pain if your just going to blow it on toys, vacations, booze and living like a rock star. Go private stay on the boat as long as possible and take yachting for what it is. Yachting g is a lifestyle choice that can be a long term career option.
ratpack
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 12:37 AM

I used to get annoyed when restaurants automatically added a service charge to my bill, and even more annoyed when there was also a space underneath that for me to add gratuity. Top and tail of it all is that I no longer use restaurants that add a service charge as a mandatory charge - think about that for a moment before your clients go elsewhere. I leave a tip when I have received service above what I was expecting, and the amount I leave will vary based on how outstanding that service was. If you lean on your clients to make tipping mandatory, they will find a vessel that doesn't do it and take their business there. Who likes to be told they MUST do something?? Maybe the owner of the boat might pay you a bonus based on how much charter fees you have brought in - almost like profit related pay although I am not suggesting that chartering turns huge profits. At least that way, you are engaged in retaining clients and have them spread good words about your vessel for future clients. To automatically expect a tip, or even demand it in your T&C's is just wrong. If you think brokers are making a mint from yachting, stop working on board and go and set up your own brokerage - if it were that easy everyone would do it. Personally, I prefer private yachts with a higher salary rather than being under paid with the half empty promise of charter tips, the latter only makes you focus on tips and hence this debate was born

Average 4.5 out of 5
]