Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Guidance please
Seano12
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:16 AM

Hi there, my names Sean I'm 25, and  I'm currently in the Royal Australian Navy and looking for abit of a career change. I hold the highest level of watch keeping the navy offer you (EOOW) which is equivalent to an MED1 in Civvy world. 

I'm looking to get into the super yacht industry, was wondering a good place to get started and extra quals I may need to gain in order to get a job, 3rd engineers watch keepers ticket etc 

Any help would be great cheers guys! 

Mickuba
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:33 AM

Sean,  you should start  with completing your MED 1 and then go down the path with commercial tickets. The MCA yacht tickets are simply just that "yacht tickets" so you really want to keep your commercial licence which is acceptable on all vessels by all flag states. Hope this helps. Mick
Seano12
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:15 AM

Cheers mick. I've got my MED1 is it possible to get work with that qual, or will I need something higher?it doesn't worry me if I have to get higher quals, I just want to see where I am at with my current quals.
Aaron76
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:00 PM

Sean,

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get a full AMSA STCW engineers ticket.  This way you can work on yachts or commercial vessels.  I would be looking at the AMSA web site and seeing what you can get.

Unfortunately with an MED1 you will most likely only have the choice of private vessels.

Average 0 out of 5
]