Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dubai/Middle East
alexkempin
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:23 AM

Hi all,

does anybody have information or know of anyone who has been dock-walking in Dubai and/or other Middle Eastern regions? 

ANTHONYH
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 3:47 PM

Hi Alex,

I didn't dockwalked there but I spent 3 month in Dubai.
Unfortunately it is pretty hard to find a job in these place, the concurrence for deckhand or steward position is "unfair" because of strong philipinos or indian presence who are much cheaper than european or american worker.
However they are always interested to find qualified people like engineer or captain but this is clearly not an "eldorado" for seaman.

andyj
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 4:52 PM

If you are out there you may as well try it but i wouldn't go there with dock walking as a plan.
I was working as bosun in Turkey a few years ago, we didn't have a single dockwalker all summer and needed crew on a couple of occasions. There were a few other big yachts in the marina and it was the same story for them.
As for there being cheaper Indian workers, unless they are skilled and experienced, they aren't necessarily competition. The yachts are clearly not penny pinching and want a job done well the first time instead of a bargain.
Clearly being somewhere with a handful of yachts and no competition has its advantages over the regular haunts where there are lots of yachts but fierce competition.
Good luck!

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 6:13 PM
I would strongly advise against dock-walking in the Middle East.
I worked for 2 years aboard private yachts in the region and we never saw a single dock walker.
The reason for this is that the employment laws in countries such as UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Oman are extremely strict and the penalties for breaking them very severe - including deportation and custodial jail sentences.
Breaking the law in these countries can have very serious ramifications and consular assistance can be limited.
If you are in any doubt, check with the foreign office of your home country.

Capt Staats
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:43 AM

Having worked in the middle east in a commercial capacity I would recommend looking else where for work. I could write a dissertation on all the reasons based on laws and customs but mainly with all of the unrest you would be wise to head the warnings.

Average 0 out of 5
]