Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
200 Ton Captain seeking a full time position, tried all the local crew agencies haven't had any luck. Suggestions?
Capt Johann
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:28 PM

Ive tried crewunlimited, crew4crew, daywork123.com, crewfinders and several others with no success other than part time gigs. Any recommendations for seeking a full-time Captain position?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:26 PM
Gosh, same is happening to a friend of mine who`s looking for a mate position. It`s been almost 2 month.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 6:15 PM

I'm sorry to say that crew agents are just a complete waste of space when it comes to captains positions. I have been out of work for over a year and I have a Master < 3000GT. Before I got that it was my licence was not big enough, now its I'm not experienced on this size yacht or I'm too old or not fun enough or no experience in the cruising area (as if I cannot read a chart or a pilot guide) or some other excuse. 

Frankly the best way to get a captains job is through the brokers. Find a couple of friendly brokers to cozy up to, and wait it out. For me I'm having a career change as I have had enough of the shallow shit of the agencies. Good luck with finding a job. Everyone has a right to work and decent life.

-chase-
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 6:39 PM

There must be a reason, there's tons of work for the right people, with the right experience, and right qualifications and right attitude.

perhaps it's your experience level?. or your mannerisms going into to interview...? Deep down you know the reason.

This year has been a good year for myself and many others I know. It's been a while since it's been this good. (for American crew anyway... ) And going through the same avenues as you mentioned.

Rewrite your CV if needed... Have a third party act as a prospective employer and be interviewed by them and give their opinion on improvements.

Just a thought mind you.

Good luck and keep your head up.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 7:27 PM
Chase, with all due respect you do not know everything in the market. I have excellent references from every employer. I can name you at least 20 other captains with the same problems. Perhaps you Americans are getting it better than us but do not lecture that "I know what the problem is". How dare you.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 7:31 PM
In my experience Americans get it a bit easier than the rest of the world as they have the Jones Act but they come over to Europe expecting to get jobs. I think thats going to change real soon now.

Average 4 out of 5
]