Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Merchant Certificate (MEC3). Recognition Overseas
ElliotK
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:12 AM

PLEASE HELP. Hopefully someone can answer my question. I'm a 21 year old Mechanical Engineer from New Zealand. I'm very motivated to start working on board superyachts as an engineer. My current qualifications are: -Level 4 Qualification in Mechanical Engineering. (Marine) -STCW95 -RYA Powerboat level 2. -Maritime Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate. (MRROC). -PADI Advance Open Water Diver Certification. (Working towards Dive Master) -National Certificate in Motor Industry L1. -ENG1 Medical. I am also going to do MEC3 (Marine Engineer Class3) next year. My question is, once I am qualified and have completed my MEC3, what is the process to get that certificate recognised over seas? I know of a couple people who went over to Europe to work as an engineer on superyachts with their MEC3, but I have been told by others MEC3 is not recognised over there and I may need to get a equivalent 'Y' Yachting ticket, (Y3/Y2) apparently. So what is the process to get a certificate of recognition? I would like to go to Antibes in France once I have completed my MEC3 but I want to be prepared and have a full understanding on what I need to do once I'm there, in terms of ensuring my qualifications are recognised. Thanks guys!!
Kaennan
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 7:13 PM

Most, if not all Flag States will recognise and endoresed MNZ MEC3. Most captains, engineers and crew agents may not be too familiar with MEC3. They are more familiar with UK MCA tickets. Once you have your MEC3 you can apply for an UK MCA CEC (CERTIFICATES OF COMPETENCY EQUIVALENCY). this should increase your chances landing a job on a yacht.

It is more superior than Y Tickets as Y tickets are limited to Power and GT and are only valid on yachts. With a MEC3 you can work on any vessel. With the current trend of yachts that are being built, yachts are now getting bigger and bigger thus requiring a Merchant Ticket.

The biggest challenge for you now is to obtain your MEC3. which school are going you to?

Average 0 out of 5
]