Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dockwalking or Walking the Docks
Capt. AL
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2015 4:56 PM

Please help me out here. I am actively seeking a first officer or possibly a captains position on a appropriate vessel. So I am trying to figure out the best way of going about this. I have tried the crew agencies recently but the results were not what I expected. I have a lot to offer and fit the stereotypical yacht professional but lack in professional yacht experience. I believe if I could just get an interview I could get pass the lack in experience in yachting. I am willing to put my time in at a lower level position but I feel my license is intimidating for some captains to hire me. Once again I can put that to rest in a interview if I had the chance.

Next thing to try was to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale for a week or two and spend sometime "walking the docks." I live about 5 hours away. When should I go down there? Boat show weekend? A week before the show or now? 

Any and all information is welcome. If someone would like to see my resume or CV please email me.

bertman3@me.com 

MMBanks
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:03 PM

The Boat Show is not a great time for dockwalking. Yes, there are plenty of boats. But it can be a very busy time for crew. Besides. Captains don't usually dockwalk. If, on the other hand, you feel like you can connect with some owners or serious shoppers at the show who are looking for your size vessel, that might be beneficial to you. It would take some creativity, but could work. Think outside the box. Otherwise, looking for a job as a Mate is one option I see many Captains take when they are trying to break into yachting from other marine industries.

Average 0 out of 5
]