Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
How competitive is it these days? Oversaturated or no?
DEEBEE
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 6:18 PM

Hi all,

I am taking a year or two off of grad school and after a lot of research I am strongly considering heading to Ft. Lauderdale this October in hopes of potentially finding work as a 2nd/Jr. Stewardess after completing the appropriate training and certifications.  Although I don't have boating experience specifically, I feel fairly confident in my my work experience. I've been working since I was 15 in everything from low wage, menial grunt work to corporate experience. I don't have any unrealistic or rosy expectations about getting to this industry and I am a hard, dedicated, honest worker, period.  

That said, a lot of information out there is a bit outdated and a reflection of the job crunch during the recession.  I am wondering what things look like now as far as interiors go - is the field oversaturated, is there a shortage, or is it pretty balanced?

Ishmael
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:51 PM

It is oversaturated with new/inexperienced labor, both interior and exterior. That doesn't mean you won't find work, it just means you may be unemployed, underemployed, or employed temporarily for a while, and may find yourself working on some pretty awful boats. The women I know who had great service backgrounds- aestheticians, etc.- generally still took about a year to get career traction. In other words it can take a while to land a decent job, and in that time you will probably revise your expectations of what a decent job would entail.
MMBanks
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:17 PM

If you're just looking for something to do for a year until you head back to grad school, save your money. You'll easily spend $5000 before you get your first decent job on flights, training, housing, personal expenses, business cards, cv's, etc.  By the way. Are you US or foreign? If you're foreign, do yourself a favor and wait for next year's Med season. Immigration is coming down on foreigners coming in to hunt for yacht jobs. Not worth losing the ability to come into the US for 10 years if you get caught job hunting here illegally. Happened to a friend of mine AFTER he'd returned home to South Africa. Visa pulled. End of story.

Average 0 out of 5
]