Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Provisioning Istanbul, Romania, Ukraine and Bulgaria
shaunbyers
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:47 PM

Hey guys, I'm heading to Istanbul and the Black Sea in the summer and need some advice on provisioning for fresh produce mainly fruit and veg and the fine herbs and garnishes and dairy as well thanks shaun.
bridgewatch
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:37 AM

Hello Shaun, I know Istanbul and the area. Provisioning is great. We used METRO for the majority of our provisions. They have EVERYTHING and of very good quality. It is sort of like a COSCO but better. Great fish and meat as well. The catch is that most folks think you need a membership but you don't. Even if you don't speak Turkish, all you have to do is, just inside the entrance, give them your ID (It can even be your national drivers license). They usually know that this means that you want a "daily one time pass". They will give you the pass and you just shop and give it to the cashier at the end of shopping. Fresh stuff is great too! There are many METROs all around coastal Aegean Sea Turkey so do a google search for locations. There are also Carrfours in Turkey so if you are familiar with France you will know Carrefour - good stuff there too. Another good supermarket chain is Macrocenter. The only thing we found hard to find was white vinegar - however they have all sorts of other vinegar - that was kinda funny because we sometimes used a little vinegar to help get salt off of the yacht and ended up using cider vinegar instead!! SPICES - Be sure to visit the Spice Bazaar in the Eminonu area of Istanbul near Sultanahmet (Old Town) section of Istanbul. It is "the place" to find all sorts of spices and it is a great atmosphere. As for Ukraine and Bulgaria - sorry but we didn't go there. Turkey, however, in the places where yachts tend to go there are many other great provision choices and local fresh markets. Just ask the other visiting yachts and the dockmaster - they will know. You will not be at a loss for good quality provisions in the major yacht ports in coastal Turkey.
mutoc2c
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:59 PM

Hi Shaun, As bridgewatch says, Provisioning is great in Istanbul and most of the cost line of Turkey, I am an yachting agent in Turkey and our head office is in Istanbul. If you are short in time and need some efficient provisioning assistance my e-mail adress is kusadasi@c2cyachting.com Best regards, Muto

Average 0 out of 5
]