Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MTU trouble
AndyG
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:42 PM

Hi All, I have a couple of MTU 16V 4000 M90 circa 2008 that have recently started giving trouble.

As the second turbo kicks in there is a spike in the load, injection goes to 100% and there is a big puff of black smoke. You can really hear and feel the load.

The engines have only done 400hrs.

I have had MTU in several times and they are not sure what the problem is, as all the parameters are normal.

Just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone had some ideas.

I am not an engineer, I just point it in the right direction.

The Norris
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:08 PM

It sound to me like it could be something to do with the blow over valve not working correctly.  

There is a valve that bypasses air from the after cooler to the 2nd turbo to help it speed up quicker and eliminate the turbo lag that you get with the 2000 series. 

If this valve was not opening, the engine would become over fueled and give out lots of black smoke. 

Does the engine reach higher revs and does the smoke clear when you get past 2000 rpm?

AndyG
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:30 PM

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the the engine reaches 2075rpm and the smoke clears quite quickly after the second turbo speeds up.

chrismlewis
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:43 AM

Try a different MTU dealer or go to MTU direct in Germany. Where are you located?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:23 AM

I had same problem on 12v 4000 series, it was the boost bypass valve bearing tightening up, carbon etc...

Average 0 out of 5
]