Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MTU manufacturer courses
rusty tools
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:25 AM

Has any fellow crew done the MTU or CAT manufacturer courses. What is the opinion on doing the 4000 series over 2000 series (have worked with and is more popular in the industry) as its a larger engine. This is in perspective of having left my current yacht. Or does the course have to reflect exactly the engine you work with?
The Norris
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 12:39 AM

DO IT!

I did the MTU CM2 4000 in april this yearThe MTU training center in Friedrichshafen is amazing!

CM1=Onboard operators (Filters etc-4 days)

CM2=Onboard maintainer (Removing- pistons&liners, HP fuel pump, turbos, RW pump-5 days)

The tour of the factory was mind blowing. Now I know why the parts are so expensive!

rusty tools
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 10:03 AM

I contacted MTU and they firstly only allow you to sit the course relevant to the engine series you have worked with. Secondly there is a cm1&2 in SoF however i am certain it will not be anything like the Friedrichshafen course from a learning and experience perspective. Regarding jobs that for example "need a Y4 and MTU or Y3" i assume all they are after is a CM1 (never specify) for warranty reasons. I would definitely stick to CM2 regardless.
Soaking wet
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 3:28 PM

FDDA in Fort Lauderdale run the 2000 and 4000 series course on a regular basis.

Great course but honestly would not bother with the 2000 series, small engine for the smaller yachts. 40 meters or less usually.

Hands on, simple course and well worth the money.

That bring said yacht engineers rarely do much more than the basics and it's really not going to make you and expert unless you follow through with self learning.

As for caterpillar they are losing the market and have proven to be more trouble than the MTU engines. Plus the oil and fuel filter arrangement on the 3500 series Caterpillars is a mess.

I've not had an MTU hand grinade on me yet, I've seen CAT's fail for two principal reasons.

1----poor quality control of spares

2----mistakes made during repairs by dealers

FishnChips
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:09 PM

The Norris wrote:

DO IT! 

I did the MTU CM2 4000 in april this yearThe MTU training center in Friedrichshafen is amazing! 

CM1=Onboard operators (Filters etc-4 days) 

CM2=Onboard maintainer (Removing- pistons&liners, HP fuel pump, turbos, RW pump-5 days) 

The tour of the factory was mind blowing. Now I know why the parts are so expensive! 

Can I ask how much you paid ?? Including accom etc, just a ball park figure..
Thanks

The Norris
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:12 PM

Course was €2500 for the CM2. (The CM1 would of been €1500)

Accommodation was €600 for 5 nights. (Book well in advance, I didn't)

I drove up from France €400.

Food and drink where a reasonable price. 

pcpiner01
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 3:48 PM

So I have the the chance to take the Series 2000 PLD Customer/Mechanic CM2 class. is it worth it or should i wait until a 4000 series course opens up? I am Y4 looking to be a first time CE on 30-50 m vessels.

Average 5 out of 5
]