Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is engineer rotation viable??
Soaking wet
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:06 PM

For rotation to be viable their needs to be enough engineers to go around.

Before engineers start job sharing, operational standards, leadership hierarchies and management systems need to be in place. Rotation done well improves standards, rotation done badly reduces standards.

Rotation only works if all engineers do their jobs and that’s where it all falls down I’m afraid. Far too few engineers aren't capable of much more than pressing buttons and calling for help.

Yachting needs to figure out how to develop future engineers and set practical standards in the engine room.

Supply and demand will amplify the value of qualified engineers and you need only count how many large yachts are out there today to realize the importance of real engineers.

Shipyards, subcontractors, management companies, crew agents and maritime colleges are bound to make loads of money when the obvious short fall of engineers is realized.

UKEngineer
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:25 PM

Far too few engineers aren't capable of much more than pressing buttons and calling for help? This sentance does some the present situation up to a certain degree.

The industry needs a revised engineers training and qualification structure to licence the engineers to crew the Yacht fleet safely. They need to keep a log of practical tasks performed, have practical assessments and more workshop sessions with far more contact with good technicians in the process. Who will pay for and organise all this? Is the industry going to ask owners to fork out perhaps tens of thousands to train their engineers properly? They could, perhaps separate the training into engineers courses and technicians courses. At the moment we call someone who has a triple role as an engineer, technician and mechanic an "engineer".

There is, apparently, a problem with marine engineering training across the western world, it is not up to scratch and the marine engineers being produced at the moment are therefore not as competant as they should be. There seems to be far more expertise on land, producing fantastic, technologically advanced vessels with not enough good guys embarked. The only sector that seems to be producing the required standard are the military navies. Personally, I put this down to the rapid shrink in the British Merchant fleet.

Chief Eng.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:27 AM

Rotation is what keeps us experienced engineers sane.

A yacht that offers rotation, normally keeps the engineers longer and saves money in the long run = less screw ups.

Soo, Soaking Wet, do you think we engineers should stay away from rotation until " operational standards, leadership hierarchies and management systems are in place" ? 

great laker
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:07 PM

I spent a number of years aboard several vessels that were catagorized as mega yachts. One of the reasons I left the crew end of the industry was a lack of rotational positions available. After 10 years aboard one tires of the constant travel, lack of private accomadations, noisy crew areas, as well as other things. Once I hit 40, I just couldn't share a cabin anymore. The engineer's position is one of great responsibility and therefore demands a lot of time onboard. I know I'm not the only engineer who feels this way as several of the engineers that were sailing when I was are gone as well. I would consider returning to the crew aspect of yachting if there were rotational positions available. just my $0.02
Robertmech
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:47 AM

I don,t think there is lack of proper training available, there are many commercial colledges that provide quality training

for marine cadets.

The problem I have found is that while trying to achieve a Coc to earn a living it leaves very little time for

professional development  eg proper engineering subjects  hydraulics, electronics ect there is a long list.

The other problem is that there are many engineers with good skills and knowledge that can,t get past the MCA

because their seatime or qulifications are not recognised.

If the current standards were lowered salaries and demand for engineers would go down and it would not be worthwhile working in this industry, engineers are in a unique position for this reason.

Average 0 out of 5
]