Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
crew crossings
Richard McCormack
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:16 AM

Hi all. it's taken a couple of years but I've finally got all my ducks in a row and heading to Ft Lauderdale in 7 weeks. I have an application in for B1/B2 visa in which would allow me to seek work in the states. I have had all my previous qualifications assessed by MCA and been informed I am eligible to apply for MEOL now, or obtain a further 12mths sea service and complete a couple of Y4 modules (some are exempt due to previous experience), and wish to take the path of the latter option. Can anyone tell me how to go about obtaining a position for a crossing?? I don't expect a job from this crossing, but I'm not into the limelight of the industry as it is portrayed, and after completing a couple of deliveries in South Australia, feel the best learning curves are on the open ocean. As well as the best opportunity to get to know the crew and hoping when I land in the med I will have a bit of a leg up. Thanks to anyone for advice. looking forward to being overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated and flogged as a newbie as soon as I can.
MarineDex
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 8:18 PM

Hey Richard,

I would recommend go and get your MEOL straight away forget about the STATES and head to the MED with your ticket. The industry is crying out for engineers and the season is about to kick off here so you'll be in a better position to find a job.  Also when you have your ticket in your hand make sure you register all the agencies especially JOE at JUST FOR ENGINEERS

Best of luck !

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 9:03 PM
A B1/B2 visa does NOT allow you to work in the US. The B1 is a tourist and the B2 is a business visa that allows you to visit for the purpose of having business meetings related to work in your home country. Do not confuse this with a true work visa, which have different quotas and minimum qualifications.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:04 PM
I agree with Anon, B1/B2 doesn't make you legal to work pal,  good luck
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:02 PM
Just as some of the other guys have mentioned, the B1/B2 does not allow you to work or look for work in the States. People get deported all the time for making that mistake. You either have to come into the country employed on a boat & get stamped in on a B2, or come in as a tourist & be stamped in on a B1. Neither of those enable you to work or look for work. Be careful
Richard McCormack
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 9:10 AM

Thanks Marine dex. I'm heading to the states anyway for a bit of a holiday on the way to the med, but will look into completing MEOL on arrival to MED. Any suggestions for prep courses before orals? I would like some more large yacht experience before feeling comfortable to operate under MEOL. Anon x3, thanks for your replies. I have a question though. I have an interview on wednesday for my B1/B2 visa. Now if a boat won't employ you without it, but you are unable to obtain one without a job, how does anyone obtain a B1/B2 for work in the states? I don't wish to remain in the states, nor work on an american flagged vessel. In fact I have an around the world ticket incase I am unable to get on a yacht for the crossing, but would like advice on how to obtain a position on a foreign flagged vessel in Ft Lauderdale before the season starts in Med. Appreciate all comments
rodsteel
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 3:25 PM

Richard,

Pre-register on-line with the Crew Agencies located in Ft. Lauderdale and visit them in person while you are on vacation (so they can put a face to the CV - I especially recommend Luxury Yacht Group, Crew Unlimited and Nautic Crew International - there are other good ones too but not as convenient to find).

https://www.luxyachts.com/crew/crew_register.aspx

http://www.crewunlimited.com/

http://www.nauticcrewintl.com/

Good Luck,

Rod

Richard McCormack
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:59 PM

Thanks Rod, Ive seen a few of your posts on here, Seem to be a smart enough bloke. Does that mean I won't be required to try obtain B1/B2 before arrival? All the jobs I've seen advertised in the state require it. It appears there are 2 types of people in discussion on here, those who flog the industry and turn everyone off it, and those very few that can help. No one seems to openly discuss the legal way to enter the states and obtain a position on a yacht. Any sites I can visit to gain clarification?? Cheers again
Richard McCormack
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 10:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice. After contacting the American embassy. I have had it explained to me correctly that a B1/B2 visa allow multiple entry into the states, ie joining or leaving a yacht, but does not allow me to actively seek employment whilst on terra firma. This is very different form the original information given by several people in the industry that it allows you to work on the yachts. Will be registering with agencies, and introducing myself while there on holiday with a B1/B2 visa, and then proceeding on to Med for hopeful employment. Hope to meet some of you over the years in the industry.

Average 0 out of 5
]