Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Non US resident married to an American
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:43 PM
Joined: 07/07/2008
Posts: 2


I'm and American who is married to a British/South African. He is not a resident of the US yet. He did have to get a TIN number last year for me to file my taxes though. Do you have any advice on if he is going to have to pay taxes in the US this year because of his TIN number? He works on a Foriegn Flagged boat and gets paid from offshore. If it matters my name is not on any of his bank accounts. Any help would be great considering we have just started thinking about this and the end of the year is near...

Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:03 PM

Thanks for your email.  As long as your husband is not living or working in the United States he is exempt from United States Income Tax.  Once he becomes a resident he will be required to pay tax on his world wide income regardless if he is paid offshore and uses an offshore bank account.



The tax advice in this writing is not intended, and cannot be used by you, to avoid any penalties the service may impose as a result of taking any position in this writing we conclude is more likely than not to be resolved in your favor.


 Average 0 out of 5