Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Becoming a deckie
Bkcrawford
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 3:59 AM

So I have been in Hawaii for the last 2 years working on a cruise ship looking to make the change to a small vessel and work as a deckhand I will be attending the ft lauderdale boat show. I am looking for tips what to wear what to know how to approach getting a job any advice is appreciated
Mr_Scott
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 3:17 AM

I really cant tell you for certain as I am not yet in that position. I think I have seen some postings elsewhere on the forum. Good luck with your ambitions!

JohnSail
Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 8:54 AM

Hey Bkcrawford

Fort luaderdale is very dependent on your nationality, IF you are a US citizen or have a green card or other work permit, then you are fine, but as a foreigner you will have to be SUPER aware of dockwalking there, there are so many customs and immigration officers patrolling the docks and board boats asking for everyone working onboard including dayworkers papers, Its happened to the boat i was working on but luckily we were aware of this and put all our dayworkers on our crew list.

so just a warning,

also the boat show is apparently a hot spot for these guys to find foreigners looking for work. so my advice is to not dress as the typical decky looking for work and dress more casual, I dont know what youll do about handing cvs out but if they catch you doing that your as good as gone.

ok advice on getting a job.

once you find day work, never be scared of the work, just work hard always volunteer for a job they ask the dayworkers to do even if its the worst one, that always works in getting noticed even if there isnt a job going on that boat but you will get a good reference from the boat and might be passed on to another boat that does have a vacancy.

register with as many crew agencies as possible and check in every day with all of them ( there is a check in or log in function on all of them) every time you do you as a user gets put to the top of the "list" and will get first views,

Across waxie o connors bar there is a yacht crew clothing store called something that I cant think of now, but you will see it, its on the main drag with all the other crew agencies on 17th street, and literally next door to Waxies. which you will also notice when you get there.

other than that youll have to do some dock walking, also get a scooter from yachty scooter rental, they are super cheap and really good people to deal with, and very affordable, will also save you walking for hours and youll be able to cover lauderdale and all the yachts in one  morning apposed to the whole week

Hope this helps

oscar
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:21 PM

Hey guys and girls.

im from south africa, and flying to fort lauderdale in early september, visa and everything is sorted.

can you give me any tips on does and dont.im 18 and crossed the atlantic twice, just wondering if i need to prepare for anything when i get there. many thanks

Average 0 out of 5
]