Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
EOOW Qualifying Seatime
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:10 PM
Joined: 18/07/2012
Posts: 3

Having read through a number of recent discussions I can see that there is clearly a great deal of experience and a high level of certification represented by the engineers that post here. I would like to pose a question regarding the qualifying seatime required by the MCA for the EOOW.\ My previous academic (B.Eng Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering) and yachting (4.5 years as mate/engineer of 25m SY) experience complicates the path that I will have to take - I acknowledge that and am in the process of preparing the LoIA. I understand the MCA _may_ count some of my yacht sea time towards the requirement. However, from MCA MGN08 the MCA states that, "10.1.3 Candidates will be required to complete the following qualifying sea service on ships of not less than 350 kW registered power: .1 motor certificate: 6 months, of which at least 4 months must have been spent in watchkeeping or duties associated with the Unmanned Machinery Space (UMS) on the main propelling machinery of motor ships;" My direct question is: does this qualifying sea time need to occur on a merchant ship or would it be possible to accrue it and complete the MNTB record book on a yacht >350kW. If so would the CE on said yacht need to be Merchant or Y qualified? I have scoured the MGN08 and cannot find further reference or disambiguation. Having only just started looking into this subject, I get the impression that the sea-time may be the most challenging part in terms of understanding how I go about organising it. My current plan is to: 1. Apply for LoIA 2. Complete the required training through Warsash (UK) 3. Organise the qualifying sea-time 4. Pass the EOOW 5. Get position on yacht with great CE who can mentor me towards next license. All thoughts/comments welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read this, Owen Mate/engineer 25m SY
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 11:57 PM
I took the time to read your post, so I pose this question to you... What ARE you banging on about?! one thing is for certain the MCA doesn't tend to give Licences to people who can't form or answer a question properly let alone those who don't seem to have the foggiest
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:14 AM
Joined: 05/09/2009
Posts: 10

MCA MGN 156 will give you more information regarding engineering sea time requirements . One thing if you are signed on as a mate/engineer then the MCA will only recognize 1/2 your sea time towards your engineering ticket . You need 42 months sea time to do your Y4 plus the STCW certificates ,plus a skill test . HOWEVER The MCA will recognize your Engineering degree , and will exempt you from some of the exams . So you will need to submit 2 (TWO) different forms of your sea time . ONLY the MCA will be able to tell you at what level you will slot into . Good Luck
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:35 AM
Joined: 18/07/2012
Posts: 3

My direct question is: does the qualifying sea time for an EOOW ticket need to occur on a merchant ship or is it acceptable to accrue it and complete the MNTB record book on a yacht >350kW. If it is possible on the yacht would the CE on need to be Merchant or Y qualified? --- Thanks for the advice about the two sea service testimonials.
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:03 AM
Joined: 02/06/2008
Posts: 342

Try this for a start:
 Average 3.5 out of 5