Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Help with translation, please!!
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:21 AM
Joined: 19/04/2010
Posts: 3

Hi, I´m translating my CV from spanish to english and I have a doubt about how to translate the following: "Técnico Superior en Navegación, Pesca y Transporte Marítimo". It would be something like "Advanced Technician in Shipping, Fishing and Sea Transport", but I suppose there must be an official translation for this. This is something you study in high school. Can anyone help?? Thanks!!
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:35 AM
Joined: 14/01/2009
Posts: 1024

I see this title held by Spanish Commercial Seaman . You must be asking what this qualification equates to in British licensing format terms ? Contact one of the sea schools like Gravesend National Sea Training School in London for advice.
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:57 PM
Joined: 01/06/2008
Posts: 1061

Sorry, my Spanish is weak, but to me it translates to something akin to "Able Bodied Seaman", basically the first tested rating of a seaman.

Cap'n C
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:06 PM
Joined: 29/04/2009
Posts: 38

Its his vocational nautical college degree. It forms the theoretical/educational basis for obtaining a commercial ticket. With "tecnico" he can go all the way to master mariner.  After his degree he needs 12 months as cadet/midshipman. Then he qualifies for "official de puente" which is OOW unlimited (mate/chief mate). He needs to log sea time 36 months (effective time) as first mate on a vessel more than 500GT, then he is eligible for master. A grand total of 10 years of study and work for a commercial unlimited masters ticket. What you need to look for is sea time. If he is "official de puente", he is mate unlimited.
Cap'n C
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:31 PM
Joined: 29/04/2009
Posts: 38

"tecnico" is akin to the US "associate of arts". He should have a ticket too, stating "official de Puente" issued by spanish maritime authorities, a booklet called "la libreta" in spanish maritime lingo. He is certainly not as Henning stated an AB, he is formally trained in ars navigare.
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:48 PM
Joined: 15/07/2009
Posts: 4

I am myself a Navigation, fishing and maritime transport Technician. She didn't ask for something she knows, don't you Sandra?? She, under my opinion, just wants to know how to fit this on the education paragraph on her cv. I would recommend to put something like I said at the beginning. I am myself Spanish, worked in this industry for the last 3-4 years reaching a position as relief chief mate on a 73m yacht. I would recommend to apply for a CeC from Uk merchant shipping. You can not imagine how many captains around don't know the meaning of STCW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That passport size certificate allows you to work on boats of any kind rising the red sign. Captains prefer that regardless of the flagg their yacht rises, since they think: if it's english. it's worth it. BULLSHIT!!!!!!! si quieres que te de un consejo desde my pequena experiencia me puedes enviar un mail a
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:33 PM
Joined: 19/04/2010
Posts: 3

First of all, thanks to everyone!! But Baboluka is right, I just wanted to know how to translate "Técnico Superior...." to include it in the educational section of my CV. "Navigation, Fishing and Maritime Transport Technician" sounds good to me, so I´ll go for that. Thanks again for your help!!
Posted: Friday, May 7, 2010 11:01 PM
Joined: 22/10/2008
Posts: 9

I agree with Baboluka!
But I would be carefully with a translation! You might better apply for a CEC (Certificate of equal Competency) since a translation could be misleading! A crew agent or Captain will most likely ignore you since you (might) don´t have the certificates they require in their Job-postings! It seems that Baboluka been there and did this! I can support you with contacts to Spanish mariners who can help you there! Suerte!!!

Posted: Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:10 AM
Joined: 14/04/2010
Posts: 3

 Hola Sandra.

Si te sirve de algo yo tengo el mismo titulo ke tu, trabajo en ibiza y en southamton y al final las agencias inglesas de embarke de mercates y yates me akonsajaron ke pusiera Solamente SKIPPER UNLIMTED OF THE SPANISH MERCHANT NAVY!!!!, y  a eso le sumas el ciclo de mando ke tengas: .........GT MASTER ticket. y .......GT CHIEF MATE/OOW ticket.



Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:47 PM
Joined: 19/04/2010
Posts: 3

thanks again!! eventually, i have leave it in my cv as "navigation, fishing and maritime transport technician". the thing is that everyone tells you to write something different... the captains and employers, i mean. beginnings are always hard, and the boat industry wasn´t going to be easier! carlos, gracias por tu recomendación, voy a mirar lo que me dices que ponga. por cierto, como está el trabajo por ibiza? mis compis me dicen que este año peor, no resulta fácil encontrar algo y menos si no estás ya allí... estoy en lo cierto?? gracias!
 Average 0 out of 5