Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
doing tax returns in the US
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:34 PM
Joined: 09/10/2008
Posts: 2

I am a US citizen and have lived abroad now since 2006. Unfortunately haven't filed a tax return from 2007, and now have to file for 2008. n. I need tax advice on how to file my taxes for the last 2 years. Do you know of any good accountants able to work with this sort of situation? Or where I should start looking? Thanks, Cynthia
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 5:00 AM
Joined: 27/11/2008
Posts: 2

US citizens living abroad can file for "foreign income tax exemption" which puts $85K of your pay off limits to everything but self employment tax (10%)
You have to be out of the country 330 days per yer and meet some other tests as well.
When you find a tax preparer, ask them about it.
And be ready to pay the fines for not paying the year you didn't file.
Hope this helps!

Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:18 AM
You only pay a penalty if you owe money. Find a good tax person and you may not have to pay a penny but best to get on the right track now.
 Average 0 out of 5