Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
A Message From the Crew Confessor
Crew Confessor
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:39 AM

The Crew Confessor is extremely disappointed by the goings on here today. Airing your dirty laundry and naming names in a public forum is bad manners and very unprofessional! The Crew Confessor is taking no sides; the manner in which all sides have bandied about accusations and name calling speaks ill for you all. It is a very poor example of how crew conduct themselves and resolve the problems that inevitably arise in the operations of day to day duties. Industry observers, owners, yacht brokers, charter brokers, fellow and prospective yachting crew; they must all be rather shocked and disappointed to read this. The original query from a chef who had lost a receipt was overlooked, she lost the register receipt. You can't hide $450 worth of groceries. She managed to retrieve the original receipt thanks to the Publix angels. The yacht had already deducted the $450 from her pay!!! This is a little different than if someone who has simply lost it forever, but even in that case, if you do a quick inventory of meals it's likely you'll see that the tenderloin had to come from somewhere. Read the whole story, then comment, read it all. Which poses a final question: If you are so quick to believe that your chef has robbed you, flat out robbed you, why would you trust them to cook the very food you eat? PLEASE EVERYONE - Act like adults and have some respect. You are very fortunate to have a pretty unregulated forum here to express yourselves but if this sort of thing happens again I doubt the powers that be will continue with the same attitude. Tell us your stories but X out the names. Your Crew Confessor
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:45 AM
That thread descended into a juvenile name calling event.  Your moderator should have cleaned it up sooner. From an outsider it speaks badly of the American yacht scene.  So much petty complaining over on your side of the Atlantic.    We all know that some crew don't work out,  you let them go, but you always pay them and wish them well. . I costs the yacht nothing to show respect.  I dont know how the charter world works but on a private yacht if I don't show respect to the crew, the owner looses respect in me ..
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 2:34 AM
A number of posts in this thread have been deleted by the forum moderator

Nick
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 2:57 PM

I have taken the decision to delete some of the posts in this thread. As a moderator you are always faced with the dilemma of when to step in – we encourage lively debate on the site, but it should be constructive and to the benefit of the community, which these posts were not in my opinion. In particular there were a number of negative comments made about individuals, which is not acceptable.

In light of this I have posted some forum guidelines. Click here to read these.

If you have any questions or concerns then send me an email.

Nick

nick@dockwalk.com

nr3
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 5:04 PM

Wow! When you jumped into the spirit of censorship you really went all out. (*&^# is going to be thrilled. There won't be anything left but stories (lies) about facing down hurricanes, 12 legged sea monsters, and stealing the cooks baking soda and vinegar to fight the out of control fondue pot fire!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 5:46 PM

Yea I guess you did the right thing Nick.........However according to your guidelines maybe you should send a certain person a warning. We all know who began the trash talk and from privious posts from this individual it seems to happen quite a bit. Keep it real but not personal. I can go to the bars and get all I want of that kind of talk.....

But personally, I was kinda waiting for a real reply to that last enlightening post from the accused captain.....but hey, Ya gotta lay down the law sometimes. You can't brlieve everything you read out there. Just because someone puts it in writing. I say leave it to the courts to decide.......PLAY BALL !!!! 

Debbie
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:01 AM

This post has been removed by the forum moderator

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:37 PM
This post has been deleted by the forum moderator

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:42 PM

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:00 PM

Debbie
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:00 PM

Nick
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:21 PM

Can I ask users of this forum to please abide by the forum guidelines. We don't want to intervene, but this type of discussion should not be taking place here.

Thanks

Nick

Debbie
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:53 PM
With all due respect, Mr. Nick,  we're not naming actual names here. I actually think this is healthy. It's not like you can have a forum where people will refrain from defending points of view or one's experiences.

Btw, where all these lines coming from??

Yo Cpt,

I was very kind and upbeat to your shady crew....even to your drama queen chef. I believe I was among the nicest ones on your yacht. And perhaps your chief stew should stop having a chip on her shoulder...no one was telling her how to do her job or that she's done something wrong. God forbid, I do so...or that I try to find a better reagent to clean the bathroom as a stew shouldn't clean a toilet with glass plus or dish soap between charter guests. God forbid, I finally talk to her and let her know about leaving after the charter on that Sunday.  Why did you need three stews for five guests?? Why did you pay me 115 per day? Because you were using part of that money to pay your girl friend. 

Anyone who honestly knows me knows that I'm quiet and even tempered and that I'm hardly the person to be egregious to anyone even if they are a jerk to work with.  I've worked with plenty. I can't say that I always acted cool...particularly in the Med. But then again, I have to admit that I had no business being there. I was an illegal alien, even though I was ignorant of the fact, I take responsibility for showing up there.

A cpt. [who once used the N word in front of me] in the Med told me that I'm too quiet, that I should engage myself more...but if you're around a bunch of obnoxious and crass guys [i.e, some of your crew] ...how does it make that any easier? Above all else, my focus has always been pleasing the guests first and foremost. Which hasn't been difficult to do, not usually. Unless you're Mr. Green, an owner of the most horrid yacht imaginable.

In recent years, I've had the displeasure of meeting some immature and unprofessional crew members like yourself, Cpt [mind you, you're in your forties], some who were just hired on the spot without any experience.  Even from those who have given me positive references. I've even had captains tell me their whole life story, what they think of certain women [names included] and crew...remember Cpt?  Maybe you're getting what you deserve [via this forum] since you seemed to enjoy running your mouth to [and about] your crew and freelance crew anyway.  Firing a bunch of people all the time as you like to profess shows your lack for professionalism and intelligence.
It's really embarassing that you're from my country and my state.

How about your learn to appreciate what your crew can do for the yacht that you are supervising. How about you respect yourself and PAY your crew honestly and fairly...whether you like them or not...at this point.  

nr3
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:33 PM

Nick wrote:
Can I ask users of this forum to please abide by the forum guidelines. We don't want to intervene, but this type of discussion should not be taking place here.

Thanks

Nick

Perhaps it is your guidelines that need a bit of review? It seems utterly ridiculous to require that all posts be "positive" and then in the same breath spout your desire for lively debate.

Also, judging from your wide brush of deletions that do not violate your guidelines, leaves one wondering why you have them in the first place. You make the rules, and now you have a mess because you, yourself didn't live by them.

Yes, I know, this isn't positive. Delete away.

Nick
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:00 AM

As I mentioned in my post above, as a forum moderator you are always faced with the dilemma of when to intervene and what to do. It is a judgment call. In my opinion the posts I deleted in this thread earlier served no purpose other than to inflame a situation involving particular individuals. We had an instance of this over the weekend, which a number of our members objected to, and we don't want to see it happen again. Our goal is to maintain a healthy forum that everyone feels comfortable participating in and I felt it was the appropriate thing to do.

The fact that we now have a set of guidelines does not mean that we will necessarily take action every time someone posts a comment that could be construed as breaking them. But nor should anyone be under the impression that they can say anything they want to without any action being taken. We have intervened very little since the site was launched and hopefully that will continue to be the case.

Nick

nick@dockwalk.com

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:08 PM
NICK, If thats your stand then why encourage Debbie by leaving her post up and wiping away other honest posts from individuals with valid points and alternative views, but with way less hostility? If your gonna make a call, stick with it. Now your just flaming her fire .....You already know the girl can't write a single post without bringing up her horrid past and still pointing fingers. Just read the nuts latest on the chef receipt thread. Same format....mentions the problem at hand in 2 words and then resorts to telling her life story of her sorrid life. MUST THIS CONTINUE??
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 6:25 PM
Agree with above post.  She has no place on here.  Is she related to someone at DW, I wonder....

Debbie = embarrassment of the Stewardess profession & to her fellow countrymen.

As a head of department, I will stay WELL clear of her when it comes to hiring.  Some of her posts are shameful, racist and are put there purely to antagonise.  Three years in the industry and she thinks she knows it all.  What a waste.  So ignorant and obnoxious - not to mention unprofessional.

Although it is entertaining watching her destroy her career.......

Average 4.5 out of 5
]