Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Starting work in October, but have a family vacation planned in January?
AwesomeTori
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:17 AM

Hi all!

You have all been wonderfully helpful before, so I have humbly returned to seek some wisdom. I am heading down to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of October (it got moved back since mg last post). My only dillemma is, I have a family vacation from January 6th to January 11th that is already booked and prepared for and has been in the workings for quite some time now.

With a normal job, I have been in a similar situation, and near the end of the interview, I have been sure to bring it up and we arranged as necessary. Would this be a faux pas in this industry? Should I make sure to commit only to daywork until after I come back in January? I am very much open to the idea of a permanent position, and am worried about this causing conflict with that.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you very much!

Numpty Sailor
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:49 AM

Do you want a job or a career ? If it's the latter ditch the holiday.  How can you expect Owners, Managers, Masters and fellow crew mates to commit to you when you are not committed to them ?

Average 0 out of 5
]