Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Captain on smaller boats, but how to mate bigger?
CptJ
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 1:26 AM

Of course my post somehow gets corrupted in the first 12 hours…

Anyway, This gist is:  

I have over 10 years experience in Private Estates, and yachts under 85' both as Captain, and mate.  

I currently hold a USCG STCW Master 500 GT and Yachtmaster Offshore plus various modules on both US and MCA side.  3 courses left towards OOW.  

I'd really like to move into vessels over 40m as a Mate and learn ISM/ISPS and get as much time underway on the bridge as I can while I continue my education.  

The agencies are telling me this is realistic, but I'm wondering if I should try to move onto something in the 35m range first, or maybe for bosun on something larger (45m+)?  

All your thoughts and experiences will be appreciated as always! 

Cpt. Cyril H
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 9:52 PM

Hello,

To my view you won't gain much moving toward a bosun's position. It will also be challenging especially if you've been a captain for so long. My advise is get your OOW on hand, find a 1st mate position onboard a yacht running mini ISM or a 2nd officer position on a larger yacht running full ISM.

CptJ
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 8:41 PM

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll keep my focus right where it is then and add 2nd to my search.  Much appreciated!!  

Average 5 out of 5
]