Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Introducing Doris Italian Market & Bakery
Doris Italian Market & Bakery
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 6:09 PM

Hello Dockwalk friends,

My name is John Alfano, owner of Doris Italian Market & Bakery, and I am excited to announce our new monthly column, Market to Table.

Our culinary experts will be providing ideas and culinary insights for those of you who, like me, make your living delighting others with great food.

To start things off, I thought I’d offer a quick way to make a seriously delicious snack that’s always in season and one of my favorites — artichokes! 

When you’re selecting artichokes, don’t avoid those that have brown shadings on the outer leaves. These artichokes, which the industry calls “frosted” because of the freezing temperatures that cause this appearance, are among the most tender and most delicious. 

Preparation

Start by washing the artichoke under cold, running water. Trim the end of the stem to desired length; about one inch is good. Remember, the stem is an extension of the artichoke heart and is edible. Trim the top of the artichoke by cutting off 1/4 off the top (about an inch) and discard.

Use scissors to trim the rest of the thorns off the top of each artichoke petal (only if desired as this is not necessary to have a great eating experience). To preserve the color, immediately rub any cut surface of the artichoke with lemon juice to prevent browning caused by oxidation (optional).

Did you know that microwaving is the fastest way to cook an artichoke?

Place artichoke “stem up” in a deep, microwave-safe bowl.

Add 1–2 inches of water. Cover bowl with a microwavable plate or plastic wrap.

Jumbo-sized artichoke: Cook on high for 12-15 minutes.

Medium-sized artichoke: Cook on high for 7-10 minutes.

Depending on the size and quantity of artichokes you’re cooking, it may be necessary to heat an additional one to five minutes to obtain complete tenderness throughout the artichoke as microwave oven cooking times can vary.

Keep covered and let the artichoke stand for five minutes prior to serving.

Other Cooking Methods

Steaming

Steaming an artichoke is the ideal cooking method for maintaining the high-nutrient content for which an artichoke is known.

Arrange artichokes in a steamer insert, basket or special artichoke holder in a pot deep enough to keep the artichokes above water.

Cover and steam over rapid-boiling water (making sure to maintain the water level), until artichokes are tender. Depending on size and quantity of artichokes, steaming time can range from 30 to 50 minutes; lift out carefully and drain.

Roasting

Roasting brings out the nutty flavor of artichokes and requires the artichokes to be pre-cooked before roasting. Use any preferred method to cook, but reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.

Drain well. Brush generously with olive oil or other oil of your choice, including flavored oils. Be creative!

Arrange in a roasting pan and roast in a 425°F oven until tender and browned, about 10 to 20 minutes depending on size.

Create a few delicious dipping sauces and you’re ready to serve.  Many popular artichoke dipping sauces use mayonnaise and mustard or butter as the base.  Salt, pepper, garlic and lemon mix in very well and taste great.

Doris Italian Market & Bakery has proudly served generations of families in South Florida since 1947. We began as a small mom and pop meat market and deli in Hollywood, Florida, and have evolved into South Florida’s premier specialty supermarket.  We currently have six locations throughout Broward and Palm Beach counties and can make deliveries to marinas, boatyards and private homes. If you have questions, please email us at customerservice@dorismarket.com. For more information, visit DorisMarket.com or call +1 954.749.

Average 0 out of 5
]