Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice for a newbie..
TheoWright
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 11:18 AM

I am really keen to get into the industry, but have heard conflicting stories about what i need to do to get my first job.... i understand dock walking is the way to go initially, but im guessing with so many other people in the same position it will be a pretty tough call to make myself stand out,
At the same time i am also looking for a career change further down the line into an engineering field, although currently i have no prior experience,
I was just wondering, for somebody who is completely green to this industry, is it possible for me to get work as an assistant engineer just simply by doing my stcw and AEC entry level course???  I have read that it qualifies you perform basic maintenance, etc on board boats, but its only 4 days... is this really sufficient to put me in a position for jobs??
I understand everybody has to start somewhere, but with no prior engineering experience, would an AEC be of any benefit to me?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Engineer_BM
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:18 PM

The simple answer to your question is no. With no previous engineering experience or training just getting an AEC will not help much in getting your first job in the industry, at best it might help your chances to get a deckhand position. If you have no engineering background the AEC course will teach you very little. The AEC is quite a contentious topic amongst marine engineers as like you say it is a very short time and not sufficient to teach you anything...unless you already come from a technical background then it is a brief introduction to engineering in the marine context. The MCA is in the process of revising the syllabus and making it a much longer course but this will take years to come into effect. If you are serious about getting into the marine engineering field there are a few schools in the UK that run more intensive courses on diesel and marine engineering. One I know of is www.uksa.org

Average 0 out of 5
]