Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Discharge Book
Rupert Jelley
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 8:16 PM
Joined: 06/11/2014
Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I've just started work on a yacht and I want to get a discharge book.  As a UK resident I am able to apply to the MCA for one, but the application implies that I should get one from the flag state of the boat.  The boat's flag state is Cayman Islands, so can anybody tell me which discharge book is better to have, and why?
If it is the UK discharge book, what may be a reason not to obtain one from the Cayman Islands? (unless 'Preference' is a legitimate reason to put on the form!)
Thanks in advance!

Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 6:05 AM
Joined: 11/09/2008
Posts: 2

It actually makes no difference. Except in a case where you work on a CI vessel holding a yachtmaster or yacht rating certificate in which case CI require you to have the ticket endorsed in the CI Discharge Book to qualify you to run as a rating on a vessel with a Safe Manning Certificate.

Therefore to avoid carrying two discharge books get the CI one.

 Average 5 out of 5