Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Awlcare and vinegar
Made Fast
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:29 PM

Hello. I have been applying Awlcare to the Awlgrip paint on my yacht. Was wondering if I then use vinegar water mix with the chamois, will the vinegar break down the Awlcare and remove it? If so, would using vinegar on metal which has had Starbrite stainless steel polish applied also do the same thing?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 10:38 AM
Try doing a test patch with two sections next to each other. Spend a couple of weeks using a strong-ish mix of vinegar on one side and just water on the other. My opinion is that the vinegar does wear it down, but at such a slow rate the awlcare is rubbed off from natural causes anyway so doesn't really make a difference.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:43 AM

Well vinegar is acidic... just read the label... last time I used some I think the label said 6% acid...

yes it is an acid, so therefore it has acidic properties (hence why we use it) and yes they say it will affect seals etc... don't drop it on teak either...

but lets look at vinegar, we can eat it (on salad) straight from the bottle so its not overly strong or dangerous but will sting your eyes of course...

so if you use 6% vinegar, watered down to 10:1 (half a cup in a bucket of water etc), using it on a surface that is already wet, well the chance of major damage is very low...

will leave it to you, personally, I use it and once you are on top of the calcium and salt build up, you don't need it... 

(or use SALT-A-WAY... it is approved by Awlcare paint and won't ruin your warranty... that is the email we got from them 2 years ago when I first started to use it)

ps- vinegar is far safer and less dangerous than 2 part teak cleaner and that gets on silicon and sika-flex etc

Average 0 out of 5
]