Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Forum


In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Engineering Certification Question
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:23 AM
Joined: 19/01/2014
Posts: 1

I am currently a 2nd Engineer and wondering what the best certification to get would be.  I am leaning towards DDE 1000 because I am American, but wanted everyone's opinion!  I will have 1 year of engine room time under the supervision of a Chief Engineer. The only certifications I hold are deck certifications.  Thank you
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:50 PM
Joined: 23/10/2014
Posts: 1

Someone please weigh in on this as I'm curious and I'm sure others are as well. I'm a deckhand currently looking to get into engineering. I thought about doing the AEC at mpt.
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:54 PM
Joined: 19/10/2010
Posts: 11

You should qualify for your QMED and yes, absolutely get this rating. It will serve you far better than a Y ticket which has no commercial application.  I'm not sure you'll be able to get the DDE without the QMED oiler (or electrician or whatever).
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:45 PM
Joined: 19/10/2010
Posts: 11

Well I was curious and bored and also happen to be preparing to test for the QMED, so I looked into this.

You will need your QMED for the DDE, which is an endorsement of the QMED (and neither is a license- they are "ratings", you are an unlicensed support engineer even with a DDE. It's a semantic point but one worth noting, as the 3rd engineer unlimited license test is reportedly MUCH harder to pass than the ratings tests.) 

According to the coast guard you need 180 days of sea service with the QMED. When I called and asked them they said that this means days at sea- 4-8 hours just like for deck tickets. A  few engineers I asked insisted that they've had yard days and port days counted, but again this info is directly from the coast guard. 

MPT claims on their web page that you can obtain the QMED with 90 sea days if you take their 4 week course. The course is several thousand dollars and most of the engineers I spoke to said the test was an easy one to self-study for.  I would hate to lose a month of work and pay all that money for something I could pass on my own, but if your yacht doesn't move a whole lot it may be worth considering as those extra 90 days could take a long time to accumulate. 

 Average 0 out of 5