Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Rotational Chief Engineer - How to get hired?
E.Ellisson
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:28 AM

Hi, Would like some of You, experienced yacht Engineers, share thoughts of how to get hired as a rotational Chief Engineer these days. Is it walking the docks, crew agencies, personal contacts or are all professional job interviews taking place in Waxys? Is Yachting really more about of who You know, not what You know? What is more important these days to have on resume - surfing skills or experience and work history? Should I even state that I'm a hands-on Engineer while a lot of Engineering job offers talk about water sports and fun? What are management companies, Captains and other Chief Engineers really looking from a candidate? The reason I'm asking Your help is because I'm finding real hard to get a job, although I have 5 years experience on yachts, 5 years commercial background, excellent English, Chief Unlimited license, stcw, eng1, b1b2 and all other certificates. I'm listed with all the crew agencies and not picky about the salary. Just not located in any major yachting centers. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.
davidvanderveken
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 7:45 PM

Hi,

To respond to some of your questions, I find the best way to get hired on a yacht is using crew agencies and the people you know. As a licensed engineer with experience and references to back me up I never walk the docks. When looking for work I simply notify all the agencies and also get in touch with captains and other engineers I know to see if something is opening up. I'm currently working 2 on 2 off on a yacht and was placed by an agencyThe thing to remember is that lots of engineers are fighting over rotational positions as lots of boats only hire full time... Be patient and you should land a job eventually. With an unlimited ticket you should have no issue getting hired for a full time position to gain some experience on yachts. 

Now on the resume thing, usually the licenses you have and references and previous experiences are pretty standard. The surfing or active thing is not required. You need to bare in mind that boat crew are usually hanging out together so captains that are active (lets say they like surfing) and that have lots of crew sharing the same interest will try to fit in an engineer that would follow their program and not lock himself up in his room. Basically captains are looking at hiring people that are a match with the current crew.  

Tyzack
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 7:17 PM

Please get picky about the salary, the rest of us engineers need to be paid what we are worth. Thanks.
E.Ellisson
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 9:06 PM

Thanks Tyzack, this is real experience talking...

Please understand that some Engineers still do this to make a living and do not take this as top $$$ paid vacation.

Average 0 out of 5
]