Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
etme to ??
Ihateusernames
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:29 PM

hi all,

i spent 4 years in the royal navy as an etme gaining OPS before i left in 2011,

since then i have worked as an electromechanical engineer on buildings in london which i find absoloutly mind numbingly boring!

im looking at getting back into the marine engineering sector but have a question,

what level of engineer would i be closest to?

cheers

josh

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 2:25 PM

Hi,

Anyone who wishes to enter a career in maritime engineering will require the mandatory STCW Basic Safety Training, ENG 1 and MCA Approved Engine Course. See below for a brief description on the course.

MCA Approved Engine Course

This 4 day course is the required qualification should you wish to become second engineer on a boat over 30 meters, or would prove invaluable if you are captaining a boat of a slightly smaller size.

This course includes extensive practical training as well as theory elements :-

•          Compression ignition 
  •          Fuel systems 
  •          Cooling systems 
  •          Engine Electrical Systems
  •          Power Transmission
  •          Hull Fittings
  •          Code of Safe Working Practices 
  •          Pollution Legislation 
  •          Bottled LPG Installation 

However if you already hold equivalent experience or qualifications the route to higher level courses maybe shortened if you apply for a letter of initial assessment via the MCA. 

You can visit our website for more information www.omt-uk.com

Hope this helps!

Average 0 out of 5
]