Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
looking for recommendations for cleaning teak decks.
Hughesy
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:07 AM

Hey guys,
Looking for new ideas and products you guys are using to keep the teak looking bright and clean! 
I have heard of some 1 part cleaners like amazon or atomic less harmful and biodigradable that sound apealing. wondering if anyone has used or could recomend something like this?
Coming out of a 2 month yard period. 
I would like to avoid stripping with 2 part acidic cleaners, and try something other then cascading/oxiclean. Too much deck area for me to maintain sealed decks looking good (scrub and semco) although I am a fan of this method.
Looking for a good way to bring the brightness back into deck. 
Im sure there is some new and tested methods out there and interested in trying something new.
Hopefully you can all share some good ideas.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2014 2:19 PM
I know this may not be what you're aiming for, but Diam-Net do a great all-in-one cleaner and brightener called Diam Teak. Easy as pie, half the effort, and works like a dream for monthly cleaning and brightening. Good for high season, too.
Hughesy
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2014 4:58 PM

Thanks annon, sounds like something I'd be interested in. I will look into it. There is also a 1 part non acidic teak cleaner brighter from shine yachts that looks ok. Has anyone tried this one?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:56 PM
Diam Net also send a rather explicit calendar with every order... and by rather explicit, I mean they should show it in sex ed.
AJ_3
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:18 PM

Hey there,
I have been using products by Teakdecking Systems recently and I can really recommend them.  In particular we use their TCL 200 Teak Cleaner Liquid.  With this one, apply it neat with white doodle bugs every other wash down (during wash down).  Because it doesn't require hard scrubbing, it really doesn't add on too much time.  Since starting to use it almost a year ago we haven't had to do a 2 part scrub and the decks stay lovely and golden.
If you are having more of a problem with mould, their ECO 100 Powder is probably a little better for beating that, but it doesn't brighten decks as much.
Other bonus of with their products is that they are pretty eco friendly!
Give them a call if you have any questions, they are really friendly and helpful.

M/Y Azzurra
Posted: Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:44 PM

Dear Dirty Deck,

I just got off a month living on the hard too so I know what you're going through.

Out of all the Teak cleaners out there the best system I have ever used is good old TSP followed by Oxalic acid.

They will come out golden brown without stripping away the soft fibers of the teak like A and B acids and neutralizers do.  

Mix the TSP and warm water in a 5 gallon bucket as instructed on the back of the box. Wet the deck until they darken. You can never use too much water. Use a swivel head type washdown head with a white scrub pad. Dip it into the bucket and spread the TSP mixture in about a 8'x10'  area. The teak will darken and the foam will build to a muddy color. Make sure to keep the working area wet and let it work with time. Don't rush it. 

Rinse with plenty of water and then use the acid to brighten the teak. 

As I hope you know, never clean teak with the grain as Teak contains hard and soft fibers and you will strip the soft fibers away . Always clean across the grain.

Good luck. I know you will be pleased as your pocket book will be as well.

Capt. Jay 

Coastal Custom Carpets
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:44 AM

This won't help clean the teak but it could be an idea to help protect it once you have it bright and clean again. A high quality, decorative and extremely durable matting can be used to protect high traffic areas where guests frequent such as coming aboard, entry to interior spaces, etc. They can be bought in various colors and can have a yachts name or graphic included to dress up the matting. Be sure to get the U/V resistant type. These won't clean the teak but could make future clean-ups easier.
Brian K. Lind
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:52 AM

Hey Hughesy,

Where abouts is your boat?  There is a great new product on the market called NCoat, a company that offers three different products for teak care, a cleaner, a color enhancer, and a sealer.  All the products are based on nanotechnology and do some cool stuff to the wood.  

Full disclosure, I'm the North American distributor for the product, and we are currently in the process of distributing the product to service providers after setting up a successful application business here in Seattle.  The nice thing about the cleaner (NCoat Repair) is that because the particles are so small it is one of the only products on the market that can clean a deck without etching or emulsifying the wood.  

Take a look at our current application company in Seattle (www.addisonmarine.com) and let me know where you keep the boat and I might be able to set you up with a service provider in the area that has shown some interest in our product.  

Respectfully,

Brian K. Lind

Business Manager
Addison Marine
www.addisonmarine.com

John Donahue
Posted: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:40 PM

For maintenance I scrub with regular wash down soap, then apply a product called Gary's Golden Teak. It is a phosphoric acid based brightener. I go years without using two part products. I just replaced my fly bridge teak and my contractor was floored that I use it because no one does, but it would have been his recommendation. It is old school but it works without having to watch your teak go down the drain. Straight out of the yard I would give it a sudsy ammonia / oxy clean scrub first. Good Luck!
Cdiboston
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:07 AM

Try using DC-100 Teak Clean. It's an organic acid replacement that cleans and restores teak decks to it's natural color. It's NPDES & MARPOL compliant.

Not sure where you are, but I can help you get some if you like.

Colin

Average 1 out of 5
]