Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
New-build opportunity
marineengineering.us
Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:33 AM

Hi everyone,
I have the opportunity to get involved in a new build. It is currently in the early stages of laying the hull. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or advice to share on new builds that they have been involved with.

Darrennightingale
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:32 AM

I have managed a few new builds and it all depends on your experience in the construction process and system design,  and the construction yards experience. (I guess you are talking about managing the engineering side of things) Have as much cut on the plasma table as possible before lofting or installation. Lay out your piping in 3D in Rhino or the like so you can have the bulkhead penetrations cut in the correct place, same goes for cable routes through these. Make sure you have your engine room layout completed early, also in 3D with piping, mounts, exhaust systems, manifolds etc so you can check serviceability of equipment. Become acquainted with your class and MCA surveyors, as with your suppliers. Stay on top of equipment lead times, triple check the yards job scheduling to make sure jobs are not overlapping or equipment will not be installed, then need to be removed to install further piping or painting. There are really too many items to list, suffice to say that a thousand hours spent in design and planning saves multiples of that time and money down the track. If you know anyone that has been through a few new builds previously grab a hold of them as they will have a wealth of information that can only be gained on the job unfortunately. If you have been an engineer on vessel previously then you will have your gripes about previous systems and make sure you design those out as well. Good luck.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:47 PM

Sounds like your asking for an obvious answer.

If you have been given a chance to participate in a build, and wonder if it's a good opportunity it's doubtful that you can make a positive contribution. 

I'd say take the job and learn what you can. Having said that what is your employer going to get in return?

I've seen what inexperience crew do during build periods and untangled the poor choices made during the design, approval and acceptance stages of builds. 

More often than not 75% of crew employed have left the boat within 12 months and incoming crew want to change everything. 

If you do get this job stick to the basics. Learn the boat, make sure the maintenance plan, operational procedures, ships drawings and technical library  and spares inventory are realistic and approach the job a with one simple concept "you'll stick around long enough to implement and tweak each decision you made. 

Average 0 out of 5
]