Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Y2 - facts and fiction
Boombox
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 2:02 PM

Hello, all.  So I just received my Y2 after a lot of time, money and effort.  Obviously I'm thrilled, but the statement I have heard over the years from other engineers that the Y2 is the "Golden Ticket" of yacht engineering is patently false.  If anything, it just may be the worst of the Y licenses due to it's KW limitations and the highly competitive Y2 job market.  So I'm just here to spread a little light on the Y2 so other engineers don't get their hopes up too high thinking that their career is now set for life.

First, the Y1 is capped at 9,000 KW. A Y2 chief is limited to 3000 KW total propulsion power.  To qualify for Y1, you must serve in the engineering department of a yacht OVER 3000 KW.  Basically, if you want to get to Y1, you can't do it as a chief engineer, you must be a 2nd for a year.

Y2 chief jobs are few and far between, mainly due to the fact the the Y2's don't leave their jobs.  They have good salaries and rotations and don't need to hop from boat to boat every year or two.  Where there are 10 Y3 and Y4 jobs, there may be 2 Y2 jobs.  Be prepared to either wait for a while or settle for a 2nd position.

A Y2 license may also hinder your search for a Y3 position, as you will be vastly overqualified.  Captains may worry that you will ask for too much salary or leave the vessel as soon as a Y2 job opens up, thus passing you over for a Y3.

So you see, it's not all roses and green grass with a Y2.  Of course, if anyone believes these statements to be false, then please reply, we can all afford to know as much as we can about the state of the industry.

Tarek Nour
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 10:20 AM

This is after a year from your post but I think that Y2 engineers best career bet is when they become Captains.We are looking for one at present for a 38 meter Motor yacht. If interested write to tnour@tareknour.com

Average 2 out of 5
]