Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew Standards
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 3:18 PM
Dear crew confessor would you use a doctor that was hung over? Additionally would you go to a doctor that was unlicensed and unqualified. Yachting is one of the few jobs that accepts people working hung over and employs unqualified, uneducated  and unskilled people for skilled roles and I want to know why?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:06 PM
Well done my boy, based on the official yacht workers aptitude assessment test, YOU'RE HIRED!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 12:40 AM

Obviously I'm not your CC, but....
If you or I had woken up one day and suddenly there was this massive multi billion $ industry that wasn't there the day before, and we got to looking into how this industry worked, you're right, I would also ponder why it is the way it is. People (allegedly) working hung over, uneducated, unskilled and all the things you mentioned.

I would say no way man, this things gonna sink.

The fact is though, it didn't just arrive overnight. It's been building and developing over decades. Which leads us to think that maybe this very peculiar industry has developed it's own way of doing things. lets face it, an industry that has grown out of the distorted reality (by your average persons standards) that is the super yacht owners life is bound to be serviced by people who have to be equally "well adjusted" to provide that reality.

Uneducated? which degree do you propose, and for which position? Maybe a phd for deckhand?
Unskilled? Okay the industry is different, but its still has to work, so I doubt anyone is going to put up with anyone not able to ad value to the oparetion of the thousands of vessels you see not sinking everyday. So I guess those vessels are crewed with at least the minimum in that department.
What was the other one, uncertified? Owners and the law seem to think they are, all that matters really.
Oh yes and hung over ( allegedly). Well, in lieu of our billions and millions, a drink or two to help provide THE reality.
See, not so bad. Hope this helps.
NOT YOUR CC.

captpage
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 10:17 PM

Hello,  If you want a strack vessel....the pay must be there and maritime law is followed.

Try UNOlS or MSC or NOAA...after that there some (very Few) vessels that follow the

the rules. Pay is the big thing...in MSC the lowest rank is figured at minium wage times 24 hours for a day rate.

Then it goes from there up to the Captain. This MCA is no where close to USCG/Jones Act and that is why

there is some many problems and dreams are lost.  The owners would hire non licensed persons if the insurance

company didn't make them hire licensed persons. Good luck out there and ....... you get my drift!

You can have fun on board - learn quickly and watch your back.

Note: on oil vessels, you can not get throught the gate if you don't pass the drinking test. You must find a room

and come back the next day - sober...hope the vessel is still there.

Average 0 out of 5
]