Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The sounds of silence
Anonymous_4
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 4:00 PM

Can you help me I want to know how loud is too loud when your crewing on a yacht. There's the dinosaurs who stomp as they walk, there's Chatty Cathy who like, wont stop like stop talking and then there's the 0300 hour after party in the mess. Rules aside what is an acceptable level of noise on the boat? I am about to jump ship because the university dorm room lifestyle is getting to me!!!!!!!! To make things worse I share a room with the messiest stew on the planet.
chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:26 PM

After 10 p.m. - no noise. Period. Visitors off the boat, crew door locked, all done.

Everyone needs to have consideration for their ship mates or they need to be reprimanded according to the MNCOC (or any other international standard that also works). Being a good shipmate is the key phrase. 

If your Captain has no clue about this then i respectfully submit that he/she likely does not know about many other issues that they should be looking after and you should look to move on. Ill-disciplined party crew are unlikely to be pulling together to provide a safe working environment and a great environment for Owners/ charterers - but of course your boat could be the exception to the rule... You can do a lot better - move on.

Your cabin should be kept tidy and inspected every month. If your room mate is creating a problem, politely ask them to shape up, if that does not work take your issues to your head of department or Captain. If they do not support you, then again you have a choice...

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 3:11 PM
A professional yacht crew will should move throughtout the vessel like a ghost. Not only when there are guest/owners aboard but ALL the time. It should be second nature. When a door is closed the handle is turned so the door closes without the latch making any noise. Same thing for the washers and dryers. I understand that everyone needs to cut loose occasionally but not all of us like to party until 3 am. There are vessels out there that have good crews like this but the problem is they have a low turnover and getting on one can be difficult.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:41 AM

God, Chris can I come work on your boat... quiet time at 10pm, that is heaven.. and as for other comments about moving thru the vessel like  ghost, and turning handles so the door closes quietly... ahh that is bliss...

I just joined a boat, on rotation, as Mate and relief Captain... I was to do 6 weeks as Mate then a few weeks as relief Master... well I lasted 3 weeks til I cracked it... I have never worked with such rude, inconsiderate crew... they had no idea... after 3 weeks the issue was officially raise with the captain and brought up in the crew meeting... I was very clear and specific about noise issues...

A week later I gave notice....

The boats policy was that no crew menber would or could enter the vessel while intoxicated... if you went out and got drunk you were to stay in a hotel... the curfew was midnight, well during that first 3 weeks crew were getting home after 2am, and still running around the crew corridor at 3.30am - 4am,,, FANTASTIC...

I even tried to explain to some of these younger crew, saying that they were signed on to the vessel and the vessel is responsible for their safety and well being... and being drunk in a foreign country at 3am is not acceptable, hence the curfew... all crew were on rotation, of about 6-8 weeks then 3 or 4 weeks off, so not like they had to go 12 months without time off...

then when it came to starting work the next day, which was extended to 9am after a night off (normally 8am) crew were still in bed at 9.30, with the captain running around waking them up... the chief stew was still in her PJ's at 11am... again, fantastic...

of the 9 crew onboard, 4 of them didn't even have the basic STCW ticket... they hired a chief stew that had NEVER worked on a boat of any kind before... refused to vacuum carpets, not once did she clean the interior of the windows, stating it wasn't her job... (we only had 2 stews onboard)... neither stew would do laundry... as Mate I was doing over 10 loads of washing a day... crew uniforms, galley teatowels etc...

a head chef that had an attitude of "its not my job'' or "its not in my contract"... and she was by far the loudest of all the crew... she would have been the worst crew member I have worked with in over 15 years in the industry... she refused to help load stores... and as we all know the chef should be front and centre for that...

these 2 crew members, lazy and incompetent, were the 2 main offenders when it came to noise... the engineer showed me photos of them skinny dipping off the aft deck, while in port... caught one of them running through the boat with nothing on, while in port.... totally unacceptable...

the boats policy was zero alcohol policy at work,,, some crew were turning up to work so hungover that they could even stay awake during set up days hours before a charter would start...

we had crew in the guests areas and saloon area after midnight with loud music going... I was on the bridge and I could hear it up there, and the guest areas were between the saloon and bridge area... even had written complaints to the yacht owners about crew behaviour...

crew in the crew corridor when watchkeepers were off duty sleeping, playing games and throwing things around... full party attitude... even when told to be quiet they didn't stop...

and the high light of all this was, when the captain tried to really crack down on it, the comment from the head chef was, "you can't tell me what to do", and my favourite reply from her was, when he got real pissed off was, "why are you being such a nazi".... 

funny how a chef, with less than 4 months yacht expeience can basically tell the captain with over 15+ years experience to go and jump... and continue on with their inappropriate behaviour... not to mention her excessive noise in the galley... I told her one day to turn the music down as it could be heard 2 levels above the galley up in owners and guest cabins... the reply was, "its not that bad" and refused to turn it down... even though she was asked many times...

oh yeh, crew dinner used to come out at 8.30 - 9pm... haha... makes it a bit hard for interior crew to eat before guest service... and some crew on watch or that started at 5am etc used to sign off at 7 or 8pm... and have to sit around and wait for dinner, that was meant to be between 6 and 6.30pm... ohh if only I could mention her name... 

total in-subordinaton and disrespect...

the captain had a written policy that this special coffee machine we had was NOT to be used by anyone, including guests before 9am, due to the noise it made, as it would wake guests up... ALL crew were told many times that it was NOT to be used under any circumstances... yet crew would use it at 6 or 7am... it could be heard on the bridge at 7am... their were 7 guest cabins between the coffee machine in the bar/saloon area and the bridge...and guess who was using it, yep, the chef and stew, for their own personal coffee pleasures... totally didn't give a flying F#%K about the guests or crew sleeping...

yep, their are some 'special' crew out there... worst 2 months on a yacht ever...

enjoy the silence when you can...

Average 0.5 out of 5
]