Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Does work experience as yacht engineer help in other engineering fields?
Alex van Niekerk
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:38 PM

Hi Guys

My question is maybe a little different than the usual, but here goes...

I have just finished my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and looking to start my career as an Engineer. I am however faced with two routes that I can take. The first one is going to work on the super yachts for a few years to build up some capital, and then possibly heading back to the more usual engineering jobs. The 2nd option is to go straight into 'normal' engineering work and start building my career.

My question thus is, if I were to work on the super yachts as an engineer, would prospective engineering companies value my work experience as an engineer on the super yachts, or would I have "wasted" my time? Ie. According to prospective engineering firms hiring me, will the work experience on the super yachts be as valuable as the work experience that I will gain working within the standard engineering firms?

I hope there are some Engineers/HR persons who have some insight into this!

Thank you in advance!!!

Cheers
Alex

Average 0 out of 5
]