RSS Feed Print
Eye vison
Eva
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 9:44 AM

I have really bad eye vision, can just see the big E on the eye chart without glasses, but I have just got my Yachtmaster and want to make it commercial.. I have a medical certificate from my home country stating "unfit for watch-keeping". Somebody said to me though, that your ENG1 will just say that you should wear corrective lenses and carry some spare glasses, even though your vision is too bad.

Will this be a problem for me if I become anything else than a deckhand? I have previously sailed thousands of miles aboard small sailing yachts, have been wearing lenses and glasses and it has never really been any problem.. anyway, the paper work needs to be in order.

JRC71
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:27 AM

Eva, Please refer to MSN 1765 for vision standards. All deck/dual career personnel must be able to reach the basic visual acuity standard (6/60) without using spectacles or contact lenses. Applicants may use spectacles or contact lenses to reach the higher standard (6/6, 6/12). You must have 6/60 vision in both eyes as a minimum without wearing glasses. The higher standard may be reached using glasses or contact lenses. If you cannot meet the higher standard then your ENG1 will most likely have a restriction imposed and you will deemed unfit for lookout duties. This link will help you with the full fitness requirements: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/msn1765(m).pdf or here for vision: http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-home/shipsandcargoes/mcga-shipsregsandguidance/marinenotices/mcga-mnotice.htm?textobjid=BB9BEE27A2E4E640 I just redid my ENG1 a couple of days ago and my vision was OK, as a professional yachtsman my eyes are very important to me and I was slightly concerned as I have one eye slightly better than the other but I'm still able to read all the letters on the chart with both eyes unaided. The above information relates to MCA's ENG1, I'm not sure about the ML5 certificate which is accepted for commercial endorsement for your yacht master, I assume that it would be the same. I hope this was of some help. James
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:32 PM
If you're serious about making a career of yachting and your plans are definitely to progress on the officer/captain track, it would be well worth your while to look at the lasik eye surgery option. I had it done after 3 years in the industry...it's now been 5 since I had it done...I only wish I would have done it sooner. It was well worth the investment!! And now, no more cleaning sea spray off glasses (except a good pair of polarized sunnies), or worrying about putting in contacts for watch in the middle of the night, or losing an expensive pair of prescription glasses, or worrying about renewing prescriptions every other year, etc...etc... Good luck....just know it's pretty amazing to wake up and look out at the scenery without worrying about finding your glasses first!
Eva
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:35 PM

Allright... I am pretty sure that I will not have any hope of becoming commercial without a surgery then.. My eye vision is -7 on both eyes, not sure what that is on the other scale, but it´s like I´m almost blind anyway.

To take an eye surgery is something I have thought about maybe doing one day. But it sounds a bit scary to me, what if something goes wrong and I´ll be blind? Or if I get some other trouble from it.. probably won´t happen though, I know. At least it´s great to know that there actually is a solution to bad eye vision and that it is possible to get a normal vision again if you want it.

eva1
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:50 PM

I have another question! Will a Norwegian health certificate for seamen be equal (and accepted) as a ENG1?