RSS Feed Print
how to move up the chain in the engineering side
craigo
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 5:49 AM

hey guys ive got my stcw, done my aec course got eng1 as well as i am a qualified diesel mechanic through caterpillar with %years of experience in rebuilding, troubleshooting and repairing engines and transmissions! what is the best route to take in order to get on a m/y as a second engineer! thanks a lot craig
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:58 AM
With aec you are nothing,just general knowleg about let say,fuel transfers,water makers,gens,pumps,and way how to engine works.if you wanth to be enge best of the best go to croatian marit,enge,scholl is pain my friend in the brain 4-6 years.and if you finish you can work where ever you wanth.iam not croatian iam australian but i have 2enge fro croatia on the boat-david coperfild is baby for them.the best of the best
Barney Smith
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:19 PM

I started almost 2 years ago with a mechanical mindset, but very little experience. Most of my jobs have been combined deckhand/2nd engineer roles. A position like this might be worth considering if you don't find a dedicated 2nd engineer position initially. Caterpillar engines might be 'toys' compared to what they use on big ships, but you'll still see lots of them on yachts. Given you have relevant diesel experience (although you'll need to know plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, hydraulics and IT in the long run), you are in a much better position than most new crew. If your attitude is right, you get along with people and don't have two heads, you'll find something to get you started. Bear in mind your second permanent job is ten times easier to get than your first. Use the agencies for sure, but rely on yourself primarily. Good luck and keep at it.