RSS Feed Print
NEW CHEF TO THE INDUSTRY!~
lukeNZ
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:12 AM

Hello everyone! New chef here looking at getting involved in this amazing industry.I am very experienced in hospitality and all things cooking and have been wanting to work on yachts for sometime now. Have the STCW and ENG1 and ready to go... BUT am having a little trouble as every job I apply for or person I speak to ask for a minimum of 1-2 years experience... Its the old story of need experience to get a job but need a job to get the experience... Am currently in NZ and thinking of heading to Palma or France to be where the action is. Any advice from you wonderful experienced people will be greatly appreciated! Thank you and happy cooking! Luke NZ
Janice Lynch
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:56 AM

Hi Luke. Best to send your CV's to the various yacht agencies in Auckland(37 South, Superyacht Support, Reid Yacht Services and IMG). Or during January and February do some dock walking around the different yachts in Auckland and get to meet a few more yachties. However you would probably have more opportunities in Palma. It is tough - a mixture of being in the right place and the right time. Best of luck! Janice Superyacht Support

lukeNZ
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:51 PM

Hi Janet! Thank you very much for your reply! Yes already registered with the agencies here in NZ. Also Australia and the main agencies in Europe and America! I agree!It really is about a bit of luck I think! Thank you and all the best! I will keep on keeping on!
Daniel Page
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:16 PM

My partner and I are both Kiwi's and were lucky enough to get our first job on a really nice boat in Australia, and after that first job it really does open up more doors for you. There a few good jobs floating around Australia so don't rule it out, but in saying this the money is not as good as the med, but a lot better than NZ. Good luck to you! Check out www.yachtcrewaustralia.com jump on their Facebook for their job list. www.superyachtcrew.com.au is pretty good aswell.
lukeNZ
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 5:44 AM

Hi Daniel! Thank you for your post! Yes i've heard of people getting onboard form australia, especially up from Cairns... Thank you for your advice I will certainly check out that site! Cheers mate! Luke