RSS Feed Print
Join the yachting world or not?!!
Walshie
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 4:18 PM

Hi, I am thinking of making the move to the yacht world next season and have a few questions to ask before I make up my mind. I am currently serving in the Irish navy and have an unlimited 2nd Eng COC. I have been incharge of the engineering appointment onboard a ship for the last 2years & 6months! Basically carrying out the role of chief engineer. I have an Eng 1 & all the required STCW courses done! If there are any Captains or engineers reading this I can send on a copy of my CV and maybe they could advise me on any extra courses I may require to get into this environment! My plans are to move to France over the next year or so and work from down there. What I want to know is would this be a wise move or am I better off in the industry I'm in?!! Do the engineers that work in France at present also live in France? How long do you spend at sea, ie. is it in and out on a daily/weekly basis and home every evening/mid week/weekend?!! Or do you stay at sea permanently during the season and home for a few months in the off season? I probably have a few more questions but I'll start off with these!! Thanks in advance for any info! PS. I contacted 2 agencies about this but no reply, that was over a month ago.
Andy O
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 8:43 PM

As a fellow Irish man and who works in the industry, make the move, you will make a lot more, be in port more, be in nicer places then cobh, and as an engineer, get rotation. Contact the mca and try and get your qualifications endorsed. ie. y4,y3... Then contact the yacht crew agencies, google them and sign up to all, you will have a great job in no time..! Move down to Antibes, to be available for interviews as this where a lot of agencies are. Good luck
Walshie
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 10:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Andy! Do I have to get my qualifications transferred to a Y ticket? I have read on this forum that there isn't much point in changing over. Also I would be movin over with my wife & I really need to know if there is much time spent at home or is it all sea time during the peak season? Not going over for the party lifestyle, it's all about quality of life really! Also is it just seasonal work or is it possible to get a yacht that is permanently based in the Med with all year round salary?!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:52 AM
I would strongly advise against buying  a house in France for a start, 70% of all foreigners go back and with the recent tax hikes, on foreigners, you will be seen as an easy  tax sponge. It's also unreliable buying a house in France and various websites like  www.hideousfrance.com and  www.dontmovetofrance.co.uk are there  to spill the beans.  I am continously hearing on twitter and facebook of people being tucked up in some way or other from unscrupulous sellers and Estate Agents  and it is rumoured that France in the next Spain and Cyprus.  Avoid as people lost packets of money there too.

Antibes may well be where the  Agents are  but it is a depressing place with only a handful of  superyacht berths - consequently  pressure on jobs is high - the port is mainly geared up towards local peasant fishing craft and  crappy tupperware in general. I wonder whether you should be thinking of Tunisia which has  opened up as a tax-free haven, to counter Malta's entrance into the EU and loss of tax-free fuel.  It's nearly finished, Agents are now setting up  and  to me it would be the ideal place to  go.  French is spoken there so if you are good at this - this will be a bonus.  Good luck.

PS   Also  check out   www.expatmoneywatch.com  to read some of the horror stories  about being an expat
                                   www.dontmovetofrance.co.uk
                                   www.vieaffreuse.fr  ( Italian, German and French pages )
                                   www.hideousfrance.com     English pages

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:35 PM
Also as a fellow Irishman and captain, based in France for 15 years, I would agree with Andy O. You need to come down and check it out for yourself. Physically being here is very important to secure a position and get a feel for the place if your considering a permanent move. Getting a vessel based in this area takes time and a bit of luck. You won't get a straight answer on schedules as every yacht has a different schedule. I think the comments of 'anonymous' are over the top and scaremongering. Suggesting Tunisia as a base is slightly ridiculous and out of touch. I've been there a few times recently and much as I like it, it has much less to offer in work and lifestyle, than France, Spain or Italy.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 10:41 AM
I was only trying to suggest a  new base which is opening up to the  market. If the OP is looking for a lifestyle he could do well not to be in yachting as far as most people are concerned.  It is not as ridiculous as it sounds,  just opposite Malta.... in the EU, and yet out of the EU.   On the other hand, if he wants to fight 250 people for each job, then go to France, Italy   etc

Walshie
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 9:01 PM

Hi Andy & the Irish Capt, would you be able to send me on your email address? I am looking at maybe getting over to Antibes in Oct for 4 days & it would be nice to meet up with people that have lived there for awhile just to get the inside view on things!! I am planning to start Dec/Jan if a suitable job pops up!! I would start sooner but this gives me a bit of breathing space to get over and chat with agents! Thanks for the advice so far!!