RSS Feed Print
Is candle use common?
Casey
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:20 PM

Walked into the dining area to find a significant number of candles of all shapes and sizes (including a lot of tall sticks) lit and unattended.  I'm unsure what shocked me more.  The candles surrounded by flammable materials or the fact that no one was even on that deck monitoring the open flames.  I've always frowned on open flames and when necessary for engineering work, all precautions were undertaken.  Is candle use common on yachts (large yachts) and what procedures are in place to prevent any accidents?  Has anyone experienced a bad day involving candles?
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:04 PM

Candles burning inside well secured suitable glass containers similar to a Goldfish bowl or tall parallel flower vase is quite safe and very commonly used for inside/outside dining. Naked flame of burning candles mounted on candlestick/candelabra or any other free standing arrangement not safe and should not be allowed. You need to educate the interior staff accordingly.
Margaret
Posted: Sunday, July 1, 2012 10:06 PM

I'd have to say that candles are very common on yachts.  Many of the yachts I've worked on (~100') have had extensive candle collections, and a table setting is almost incomplete without.  I was shocked at first to see candles used on the interior as air fresheners, left lit unattended.  I'm of the school that appreciates candles on the dinner table, during service and even left lit late into the evening, as long as crew are on duty and around, but I avoid lighting candles below deck, on the interior at all, or anywhere unattended.  In my experience however, the worst day I've seen due to candle use is the result of hot wax spills.

CaptErik
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:30 AM

candles used frequently onboard, but they are not left unattended, blow them out when use of the room is over.
Little Cash
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 11:29 AM

@ Casey I'm with you. Fire and fiberglass -- any fire on board really -- is an accident waiting to happen. There is an excellent variety of LED candles available these days. They have long battery life and the wax varieties are very realistic. We use them exclusively on our boat.