RSS Feed Print
Divorce survival 101
Dean
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 5:14 PM

Maritime professionals live, breath and love life in ways landlubbers can not begin to understand. My soon to be ex-wife comes from a yachting family, worked as a stewardess and knows what it means to be married to a seafaring professional and the hardship which comes with the territory. Divorce is perceived as the end, which it is not. It is a new beginning and something which requires an open mind and great patience, especially when children are involved. The first rule of divorce is accept it, the second is look to the future and talk things through so both parties can grow past the initial pain and flourish in their next life, third rule is get legal advice and mediation before filing papers, the forth rule is focus on final outcomes and work together, the fith rule is realize when you take the L out of lover it is over so its now time to work on becoming friends and treat the process as if it is a business plan and not an argument. If anything else divorce has taught my ex-wife and I to communicate properly and respect the sacrifice made both sides of the fence. Our divorce is ongoing, as it twists and turns I hope things remain amicable and the attourneys cooperate with us and stop steering us towards the rocks, because it only benefits them and shrinks the resources we have left over when the storm is over.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 6:04 PM
They say you must earn trust again, but forgiveness should be freely given without strings. Forgiving someone can also be the first step towards your own peace of mind. We narrowly avoided divorce with those wise words from our counsellor. For now anyway.

junior
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2012 8:29 PM

Divorce for yacht crew is moral busting. Keep a positive attitude, maintain a sharp lookout and I wish you a safe watch.