RSS Feed Print
U.S.C.G. 100 ton to Italy?
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:17 PM
Joined: 21/11/2011
Posts: 1

Just married a D.O.D. Contractor in Naples Italy. What capt. Lic. Agency works in Italy? I don't speak or read Italian so I don't know where to go to find out. Need help please with information. Thanks
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:45 PM
What is your question? What is a "captain's license agency"? Are you asking if you can you use your American license on Italian yachts?
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 8:33 PM
Are you ready to join the long queue of unemployed Italian yacht crew........
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 9:32 PM
Joined: 30/08/2008
Posts: 4

To be honest, I've recently seen much more unemployed Captains (not Italian) in Antibes or in Palma. I'm Italian, Captain since 1981, and never been unemployed for more than few weeks between two boats.
Captsky, what kind of License do you have?

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:43 PM
Joined: 01/06/2008
Posts: 1061

100 ton Near Coastal ticket won't do much for you internationally. On a totally private yacht it will be sufficient as long as the insurance company is good with you. An RYA Yachtmaster ticket would probably be a good thing. Check with the Italians. What is your work status anyway? Learn a few phrases in Italian and try to start with them; they will quickly switch to English rather than hear you butcher their language.  Is the girl an Italian or American DoD contractor? I'm guessing American. Some countries are very liberal about DoD/Military spouses seeking employment, some aren't, and I reckon it's getting stricter everywhere.

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:01 PM
Joined: 05/06/2008
Posts: 88

If your question is what can I do with a 100ton ticket in Italy...the answer is work on a U.S. flagged vessel that is comprabale.  Your best bet is to register with U.S. crew agencies as a U.S. ticket holder who is already over there and looking for  might find some very specific boats looking for that 
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 11:35 PM
Joined: 09/09/2008
Posts: 78

A hundred ton license isn't much over here, and less over there, the fact that you have no language skills for the area, does not help either. Your wife is working for the DOD, and I assume has the necessary Visas to work in Italy, do you have a work visa? If not you are sol, in my opinion. I also assume that you are just looking for a part time gig that is local, I think there are not many options for you. I would think that your best bet is to find work on larger yachts that are in the area, and in need of a fill in for crew that is off. I doubt you will get anything as captain and should be looking for a deckhand , mates position, but you will have to have the proper paperwork or its no dice. Just live off of your new bride, cook, clean, and hang out on the beach during the day when she works!