RSS Feed Print
Deckie advice(2)
s-holman
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:41 AM

Hi Guys

Looking at coming up to Palma for the upcoming season and have a few questions:

I'll be doing my AEC and open water dive courses, I already have my STCW, yacht rating and RIB masters certificates.
What I would like to find out is if this is adequate enough, taking into account I have over 2 years working in a yacht chandlery and fabricating rigging for local yachts as well as sailing experience since a young age and a few thousand blue water miles??

I gave it a go in 09 but wasnt succesful (unfortunately fresh outta school with no work experience)

Look forward to your response

Shaun.

Henning
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 6:43 PM

You didn't say what you wanted to do though Shaun. What kind of job do you want/expect? Are you looking for yard and refit work or what?

s-holman
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 6:53 PM

Apologies, I want to follwo this through as a career hopefully something seasonal as a deckie or junior engineer with my aec. I have sailing in my blood been racing various dinghys and cats from a young age and the only place where my true passion is.
s-holman
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 6:55 PM

I plan on starting from the bottom and working my way up with yacht masters to follow soon hopefully i can do it with my aec but financially it might be a bit tight
MarineDex
Posted: Friday, November 4, 2011 7:36 PM

I would suggest to beg, steal and borrow the money you need to complete your Yachtmaster offshore with your experience in sailing and rigging aim to get on a sailing boat from 80 - 100ft long for the summer. Both Wally's and Swans are a good bet and are always looking for good sailing with a wide variety of skills.

Get your courses done and send your CV too me since I know a little about this seen and would be happy to pass your name around. info@marinedex.com

Best of luck !!!

s-holman
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 9:11 AM

Thats the plan, at the moment it doesnt phase me if its motor or power.
I'll send you my current CV shortly!
Shaun