RSS Feed Print
Visa for American working in Med?
Annika Zayac
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 8:29 PM
Joined: 27/03/2011
Posts: 2

Would an American working on a private Italian flagged vessel, cruising the Med, require a visa? Particularly when in Italy, as the boat may be in its home port a week or two. Most have said they think not, but none can offer a definitive answer. I've had essentially no luck with the embassy. Any thoughts?
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:03 AM
Joined: 22/06/2008
Posts: 18

Would an Italian working on a US flagged boat visiting the US here and there need a visa?
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:55 PM
An Italian would not be able to work on a US flagged vessel... Let's keep the comments constructive/positive. As far as a Visa for Americans on Italian vessels, I've worked with a few on various vessels and they have never had a visa to work on the vessel. I don't know if that it's legal or not. I would guess your best bet would be to contact a crew agency or contact the agency in charge of the visa and ask them.
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 9:05 PM
Joined: 30/06/2008
Posts: 85

Correct me if I am wrong as I dont spend much time on US vessels anymore although I have a USCG license as well as my MCA ones , 50% of the junior ratings can be non US citizens on a US flag vessel other than a military one.

Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:17 AM
On US flagged yachts, master and officers must be US citizens. For ratings and unlicensed crew, no more than 25% can be aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence (ie "Green Card). If you cannot legally work in the US, you cannot work on a US flag boat.
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:32 AM
To work in Italy, you must have a visa for long-term stay (more than 6 months) + a work permit (permesso di soggiorno) identifying you as either an employee or self-employed. Work permits are obtained at the local questura (police headquarters). There, you will be asked to fill out an application, which includes three passport photographs plus a marca di bollo (a sort of administrative tax stamp available at the post office). You will also need some proof of health insurance. Upon presenting your visa, police headquarters will provide you with an interim work permit that is good for 90 days. In the meantime, acquire a codice fiscale (tax ID number), which you can do at the ufficio delle imposte dirette (local tax authority), to be found in the town’s municipal buildings. It is an important card, as you will also need it for all kinds of purchases, such as a cell phone, a car, or a moped, and when opening a bank account. The documents you will need to show for the codice fiscale are limited to a passport and sometimes a stay permit, although many Americans are not asked for the latter, especially in small towns. The card will then be sent to you by mail. The final step is to present your signed work contract to the local employment office, the Ispettorato Provinciale di Lavoro, for final approval of your application. Once you have all those documents—the temporary permit, the codice fiscale, and the approval of the labor office—the questura will then award your efforts with the permesso di lavoro, available in two-year or five-year permits, or else the time period specified on your work contract, if any. If you lose your job before the permit expires, you will need to find another one quickly. Recently passed legislation now gives employees just six months to land another job, or else the permit becomes void.
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 2:33 AM
Joined: 27/03/2011
Posts: 2

Thankyou, I appreciate your help.