RSS Feed Print
visas for ameican crew traveling to europe to find a yacht job
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 6:19 PM
Joined: 28/03/2011
Posts: 1

aloha, I am an american crew member who will be traveling to europe (france italy and spain specifically) to try to find a job on a super yacht. do i need any work visas to stay for the summer season. i assume i will be given the standard 3 month tourist visa upon entry into the eu but once i have found a job will i be able to work legally? do i need the long stay french visa. what if i will be traveling from country to country on the yacht? any help would be great. mahalo, zach
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 8:53 PM
I believe Americans can travel visa-free for up to 90 days in the Schengen area. Have you thought about getting a Seamans book? Otherwise, you might have to apply for a residence permit in the country you are planning to stay in if it's for a longer time frame. I would check with a local agent to make sure.
Heather Hawthorne
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 2:41 PM
Joined: 08/01/2011
Posts: 6

I am a US citizen and have been in France for 50 days. I left for Italy for 8 days and I do not know how long I can stay in France. I have been told it is only 90 days in a 180 day period by various people and all the websites seem quite confusing. Does anyone know if you leave the EU or go to the UK, upon re-entry do you get another 90 days? If not, does the time you spent out of the country (in this case 8 days out of France) come "off" the original 90 days or who to talk to about this?